Common Tree Snake and sourcing Asian House Geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harry89

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have found a few posts here previously on feeding Asian House Geckos as an alternative while weaning Common Tree Snakes onto rodents, so I am hoping this will be an understood post not a slinging match. Understanding the legality (lack there of), do gooders who do not keep Tree Snakes please stop reading now as this is not a long term choice.

I have a little dude who is a pain in the ass to feed anything but live and we are making progress, but being in a newer suburb, the invasive gecko population is a little sparse... Anyone in the Southern Brisbane region with a surplus supply they might be willing to move along while this process takes place and the trick feeding continues.

I know these guys can take months to swap over and i am not enjoying this process at all, however it is sadly necessary at this time. I have tried many methods to fool him and the odds are only average so far, but he takes pinkies on occasion now! I have a movement feeder is the problem and he knows the difference between rodents and geckos (even with various scenting methods used), as well as both food offerings being in the same container or being separated behind any form of divider, hence my dwindling gecko levels.

If anyone who can relate to this species foibles could assist, please let me know. Greatly appreciated.

Hi Harry,

Hopefully you will get a reply specifically about the Asian House geckos as that is certainly the best option. In case you don't, read the QLD Code of Practice Captive Reptile and Amphibian Husbandry. The document has a section detailing the seven species of native skinks that may be collected from the wild in order to fed to captive herpetofauna and the collection conditions that must be met in order to cause the least impact on the native skink populations.

If you are feeding live geckos, how are you mitigating the possibility of nematode infestation to the snake?

Regards,
Nick
[doublepost=1574215858,1574215801][/doublepost]Link to the document. https://environment.des.qld.gov.au/?a=90614

Hi Nick,

I am familiar with the Code and the permitted species list and am not interested in supplementing a native skink for a pest gecko as a food source at this stage. Purely from a conservation of native systems point of view, if I can remove a little competition from a noxious pest, it's a small silver lining for the native fauna. Perhaps it's time the code was updated to consider alternatives that help our native species keep the fighting chance to survive.

Also the concern of sparganosis is pointless in this case, the previous owner never fed rodents or fish, preferring the ease of geckos it seems and so this tree snake has a few lumps along his length already. I am not going to treat these until I have him converted as there is indeed a chance he may end up with a few more due to this process and I think one stint under the knife is better than two. Thank you

Latest posts

Back