Air con on timers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bl69aze

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Is it safe/possible to put a small in wall aircon system using a RPM wallsocket timer? Just thinking my room gets very hot in summer and if i could turn the aircon on at 9 and off at 3 on stinking days 35+, this would be good for my reptiles so their cages dont overheat (which will also be on timers and thermostats)

Yep, been doing it for years. That's how I keep my reptile room cool and stop my incubators from overheating in summer. Currently I'm experiencing a blackout here, lost power 2 hours ago... When it comes back on I'll post a pic of mine. I program mine each day depending on what the temp is going to be... anything above 30° I have it come on at 9:30am and stay on til around 6pm.

Yep, been doing it for years. That's how I keep my reptile room cool and stop my incubators from overheating in summer. Currently I'm experiencing a blackout here, lost power 2 hours ago... When it comes back on I'll post a pic of mine. I program mine each day depending on what the temp is going to be... anything above 30° I have it come on at 9:30am and stay on til around 6pm.
do you have it run the whole time? or turn on for 2 hours stay off for an hour, turn back on for another 2 hours then off etc

and how does it affect your bill?

No I have it run the entire time. I have a 6.4kw solar system. I don't get a bill. I also have a ceiling fan in the room that runs on top speed 24/7 during summer.
[doublepost=1575250032,1575195321][/doublepost]Sorry for the late reply... My power was only restored just before 1am.
Here's the simple cooling setup I have for my reptile room.
The timer is 7 day programmable... Can have the same ON/OFF settings for every day or individual ON/OFF settings for each individual day. It also has a built in battery in the event of a blackout so you don't lose your programmed settings... the battery lasts for like a year even if the timer isn't plugged into a power source.

I just look at the 7 day forecast for each week and program the timer accordingly for any days over 30 degrees. Today it's only supposed to hit 28 here so it's not on today. This simple setup has saved many batches of eggs from overheating. My incubator can keep the eggs warm but it cannot cool them once the room temp exceeds the preset temp of the incubator itself. This setup keeps the entire room at 23 degrees so the incubators can maintain 28 degrees and I've had no issues at all.

20191202_111405.jpg 20191202_111638.jpg 20191202_111532.jpg

Mate I have a bigger solar system with micro inverters on every panel for maximum efficiency and still get big power bills but I have 3 aircons running 24/7 for my snakes and rodents. They are all high efficiency inverter a/c's and in milder weather don't use much power but on hot days they are working flat out and it gets very cold here in winter so they work hard then.

Mate I have a bigger solar system with micro inverters on every panel for maximum efficiency and still get big power bills but I have 3 aircons running 24/7 for my snakes and rodents. They are all high efficiency inverter a/c's and in milder weather don't use much power but on hot days they are working flat out and it gets very cold here in winter so they work hard then.
Yeah but your panels from memory get shaded a fair bit as you live in a forested area... all of mine face directly north and aren't shaded at all because I cut all the trees around my house down. I'm getting paid about $50/month back from my electricity supplier. I don't get a bill. My panels cost $15k from Singapore.. the best ones I could get. I'm generating around 70 KWH/DAY and not even using half of it.
Took these pics just now... I clean my panels every weekend to remove any dust to ensure optimum performance.

My panels all face north...
20191202_120718.jpg

Up here on top of the Great Dividing Range we experience cloudless skies pretty much year round. The wind keeps them away. Free energy to the max.
20191202_120733.jpg

As I cool all my herps over winter, I rarely ever run the aircon on reverse cycle during the winter months.. It has gotten down to -16 degrees here, -10 is not uncommon. I allow all enclosures/tanks to come down as far as 14 degrees... The mice aren't bothered by the cold.

Latest posts

Back