Australian water dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocksher

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi could anyone tell us what species our water dragons are

eastern or Gippsland? On both our females and our male.

B112-D35-D-C332-4-F4-C-A022-52504-F654986.jpg

92217214-E91-C-454-A-8993-C99-C2-C7541-B0.jpg

6198-BEDD-C98-C-4-E04-9-AB1-72-CE7-A15-CB44.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with eastern's because of the dark stripe running from eye to ear which is found on eastern's but not gippslands. Another difference is the male gippslands have a colorful throat blotched with colors like orange, yellow, and blue which eastern's do not posses.

Last edited:
The top photo (male) is definitely eastern as is the second pic, the 3rd (bottom) I would like to see a couple more photos, especially around the head (I think it may be Gippsland).

I've been waiting to see what others thought because all 3 appear to display features conducive to both species and they all look to me to be a mixture of both Eastern & Gippsland which is very common amongst some populations that are found around areas of the South Coast & Southern Highlands of NSW.

So I think the first question to be asked the OP should be...Where did they originate from?

Could you get new colours come out if they are bred as hybrids?

what’s the mutation percentage for blue phase or green phase?
Just a question and curious that’s all.

Is it a bad thing if they are a hybrid?

Different people will give different answers. Some people will say they are abominations which need to be destroyed and this is of great importance (yes, literally, some people will say that, and there are cases of hybrids being confiscated and destroyed by authorities) and others will say it doesn't matter. Attitudes are softening over time as more and more intersubspecific hybrids are being produced. The authorities couldn't possibly deal with all of them these days, and in some cases such as NSW, intersubspecific hybrids even have code numbers for records. As far as their health etc goes it is not a problem. I personally would prefer pure animals and wouldn't choose to breed hybrids unless there was some specific reason, but it's a personal choice.

Yours look like Gipplsands and/or hybrids. The male looks particularly like a hybrid, one of the females could pass as a Gippsland but given the other two look like hybrids she probably is too. Very difficult to be sure without knowing their history.
[doublepost=1576895320,1576895246][/doublepost]
Could you get new colours come out if they are bred as hybrids?

No.

what’s the mutation percentage for blue phase or green phase?

What does mutation percentage of a phase mean?

Latest posts

Back