My first clutch of eggs!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herpetology

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
34 days after prelay I was worrying she was going to do a phantom on me

20good eggs ZERO SLUGS

Don’t ask about the laybox, she wanted nothing to do with sphagnum, I gave her lightly damp newspaper instead, and she went straight underneath and almost never left for about a week

I don’t think She could have been more calm to remove from eggs , she was just like “oh.. well ok..”

MERRY CHRISTMAS

The wait is a killer... I've got a clutch of eggs that was at day 60 yesterday...due to hatch any time now... literally checking them twice a day... at least you've got projects to distract you now and keep you busy whilethe eggs are cooking... all my hatchy setups are ready lol.

The wait is a killer... I've got a clutch of eggs that was at day 60 yesterday...due to hatch any time now... literally checking them twice a day... at least you've got projects to distract you now and keep you busy whilethe eggs are cooking... all my hatchy setups are ready lol.
Unfortunately I can’t tell if my humidity is fine, it’s 1:1 weight ratio Verm:water, I have slight condensation on the side about an inch or 2 above the substrate and that’s it

If you were describing turtle eggs in that setup, I'd tell you it's absolutely perfect, that's just how you want it but for python eggs I can't say.

Thanks boss man, waiting for her to lay was just the beginning of the stress levels! Now I have to wait 60 days, build a rack, setup tubs etc
that's the fun part, after they hatch the stress starts
[doublepost=1577504175,1577504033][/doublepost]
Unfortunately I can’t tell if my humidity is fine, it’s 1:1 weight ratio Verm:water, I have slight condensation on the side about an inch or 2 above the substrate and that’s it
Have you done the air exchange? I'm not sure about pythons but with dragons you need to open the container weekly to let out the carbon dioxide and let in fresh oxygen. I assume it's the same?

that's the fun part, after they hatch the stress starts
[doublepost=1577504175,1577504033][/doublepost]
Have you done the air exchange? I'm not sure about pythons but with dragons you need to open the container weekly to let out the carbon dioxide and let in fresh oxygen. I assume it's the same?

Honestly I have no idea, I got friends who have been breeding for decades saying to set and forget, as long as humidity is 99+% and temps stable at 30.5-31 and vermiculite is 1:1, then the condensation doesn’t matter and you just leave them for 6weeks before u start opening them, aslong as they don’t go black from bad vermiculite or something they’ll be fine

Then I got others telling me there should be a light buildup of condensation on lid, and to open the tub every few days etc

So I’m just sticking with the advice I’ve gone with so far, hope for the best, and then try again next year if it all goes wrong haha

Mind you.. I worried about her not laying and look at that clutch! I’m probably just worrying again for no reason

Although my tub may be a bit big and I could have definitely used a smaller one, but I wasn’t sure how big the eggs would be... they’re huge btw

I have never placed the eggs on the vermiculite so I can't comment on the water ratio their. I have always suspended the eggs over what ever substrate im using.
I wouldnt be worried about the condensation to much as long as it isn't dripping on the eggs and the eggs arnt touching the sides of the tub.
The bigger the better with the tub size in my opinion as long as you can keep the humidity up. If the eggs are plump then it's a good sign that the humidity is OK although they will get dimpling the closer they get to hatching.
I personally open up the tubs regularly I think this is more important the closer they get to hatching. But if you have some breather holes this may not be necessary.

I set my diamond eggs with equal water /vermiculite and lost an egg straight away I brought the ratio down at least ten percent and they have been firing ever since I have holes in my container so every 10 days I weigh and top up a little bit I reckon 100 percent humidity isn’t necessary as they would not get it naturally any way

I guess it depends on whether you have holes in your lids or not. I use the no holes method so I have to air out every week. Some people use holes in the lid and don't have to lift lids. My reason is I control the moisture and don't have to worry about eggs drying out.
Everyone has their own methods

I have never placed the eggs on the vermiculite so I can't comment on the water ratio their. I have always suspended the eggs over what ever substrate im using.
I wouldnt be worried about the condensation to much as long as it isn't dripping on the eggs and the eggs arnt touching the sides of the tub.
The bigger the better with the tub size in my opinion as long as you can keep the humidity up. If the eggs are plump then it's a good sign that the humidity is OK although they will get dimpling the closer they get to hatching.
I personally open up the tubs regularly I think this is more important the closer they get to hatching. But if you have some breather holes this may not be necessary.
So do you use a sloppy medium mix?

I now use water crystals like you put in pot plants . But the wet vermiculite can work. I just like that I can sterilise everything the eggs come into contact with because I'm paranoid about losing eggs.

Last edited:
Day 9

Chucked a cover of clingwrap esque material to keep humidity up to 100% as I have gone for the egg crate method

31229BFA-1D20-424A-A4A8-26D0E52E0BCA.jpeg

I keep it simple over water with no medium.
Baby bottle sterilisers $16 from Kmart are easily modified and will hold clutches of up to 25 carpet eggs, sterilise everything with boiling water.
I make a couple of holes in the cover and 2 in the base just above the water level, cover the holes with tape which can be pulled back to allow CO2 to escape at bottom and apart from a couple of wipes to remove excess condensation late in the period I do nothing else.

IMG_5293.jpeg IMG_5321.jpeg IMG_5323.jpeg IMG_5324.jpeg IMG_5322.jpeg

Latest posts

Back