Bluetongue winter temp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kankryb

Reaction score
Here in the cold north, Denmark, my bluetongues er in their winter rest, my question is how cold/what temp should it be for their brumation to be good and not too hot or cold. I have intermedia, scincoides scincoides, nigrolutea, rugosa rugosa, and young occipitalis. I can find temps down to 8 degrees inside and minus degrees in my garage

Here in the cold north, Denmark, my bluetongues er in their winter rest, my question is how cold/what temp should it be for their brumation to be good and not too hot or cold. I have intermedia, scincoides scincoides, nigrolutea, rugosa rugosa, and young occipitalis. I can find temps down to 8 degrees inside and minus degrees in my garage

Hi, this article contains some reliable information on brumation in Aussie Blue tongues, I hope it helps you:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=18&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj9t4fOu9vmAhXbVxUIHYoaDtsQFjARegQIBhAC&url=http://www.herpvet.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/herpVet-Blue-tongued-skink-care-sheet.pdf&usg=AOvVaw16eCSCHx0M_d6MzETmOzG4

8 degrees will generally be tolerated by them, but is unnecessary and possibly dangerous for some of the northern forms.

Thanks for the link I've never seen that before.
8 degrees will generally be tolerated by them, but is unnecessary and possibly dangerous for some of the northern forms.
So what do you think that would be a good average temp to keep for them during brumation

Thanks for the link I've never seen that before.

So what do you think that would be a good average temp to keep for them during brumation

Overnight lows of 15 should be sufficient, warmer during the day even in winter. For some northern taxa you might not want to go below 20.

Thank you very much, Sdaji
As always I overthink everything but the lights are on for 8 hours a day so the temp goes up during the day

Latest posts

Back