Shingleback Lizards Road Signs for South Australian National Park

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the mentality of a lot of idiots I've encountered driving , they are more likely to aim for the skink to try to run over it than slow or make the effort to avoid harming it.

Personally , I've been known to pull over , get out , pick the lizard up and move it well away from the road or coax it away from danger.

With the mentality of a lot of idiots I've encountered driving , they are more likely to aim for the skink to try to run over it than slow or make the effort to avoid harming it.
Yep, same goes for turtles. An actual real experiment was conducted on a rural road where fake turtles were placed on various sections of the road from the centre line to the middle of the lane and right over on the side of the road... the folks conducting the experiment hid in the bush alongside the road and filmed the actions of motorists and what they observed was that 8/10 people actually aimed for the fake turtles even those on the centre and very edges of the road.

Yep, same goes for turtles. An actual real experiment was conducted on a rural road where fake turtles were placed on various sections of the road from the centre line to the middle of the lane and right over on the side of the road... the folks conducting the experiment hid in the bush alongside the road and filmed the actions of motorists and what they observed was that 8/10 people actually aimed for the fake turtles even those on the centre and very edges of the road.
80% of drivers act that maliciously ? I'm shocked by that finding. But my sample is only other drivers I've seen in the act ( either while following them or when I've been located nearby) .

With the number of cars that have dashcams these days, maybe the state governments need to induce a scheme like their "dob a litterbug" where all you need do is provide a photo of the litterbug and their car (showing the number plates) and a fine is sent to them in the mail.

Same can easily be done to these bad people , dash cam - video file will be the evidence of the malicious killing of a protected animal ( some people only learn they have to pay for it).

https://kb.rspca.org.au/knowledge-base/what-are-the-penalties-for-animal-cruelty-offences/

[doublepost=1577765391,1577765130][/doublepost]
People can be real bad at times , Thats why i only live with snakes !
IMO being bad is the norm for the majority of people which why I trust no one and always expect the worse from people I have to deal with and never give them the benefit of the doubt.
If I could live the life of a hermit and never encounter or have to deal with other humans . But that's not practical.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the same sort of thing while driving my truck 12 hours a day. People deliberately swerving at lizards, birds etc. makes me sick how people can be so callous. It should be legal for us to carry shotguns and blow them off the road.
I always stop and remove dead/almost dead critters off the road, I don't want to squish them and don't want others to squish them or the birds that feed on the carcases to get squished either.

I've seen the same sort of thing while driving my truck 12 hours a day. People deliberately swerving at lizards, birds etc. makes me sick how people can be so callous. It should be legal for us to carry shotguns and blow them off the road.
I always stop and remove dead/almost dead critters off the road, I don't want to squish them and don't want others to squish them or the birds that feed on the carcases to get squished either.

If you are on the road for a living , you likely have a dashcam , provide a copy of the recording of the incident to the cops and RSPCA and get the cretins prosecuted.
ie dob the jerks in , nothing wrong with dobbing in these vicious and callous people.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back