My first clutch of eggs!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
let us know how you go

I’ll try make a weekly update! :)

I keep it simple over water with no medium.
Baby bottle sterilisers $16 from Kmart are easily modified and will hold clutches of up to 25 carpet eggs, sterilise everything with boiling water.
I make a couple of holes in the cover and 2 in the base just above the water level, cover the holes with tape which can be pulled back to allow CO2 to escape at bottom and apart from a couple of wipes to remove excess condensation late in the period I do nothing else.

View attachment 328249 View attachment 328250 View attachment 328251 View attachment 328252 View attachment 328253

That’s awesome, maybe I’ll try that method aswell next year!
I was just using this method as I know it’s a 100% foolproof way

Although I was using a smaller 9L tub and the clutch was slightly too big so I had to swap to my back up 15L tub (luckily I had it prepared and ready to go) and just chucked a bunch of water into the vermiculite and egg crates on top

I keep it simple over water with no medium.
Baby bottle sterilisers $16 from Kmart are easily modified and will hold clutches of up to 25 carpet eggs, sterilise everything with boiling water.
I make a couple of holes in the cover and 2 in the base just above the water level, cover the holes with tape which can be pulled back to allow CO2 to escape at bottom and apart from a couple of wipes to remove excess condensation late in the period I do nothing else.

View attachment 328249 View attachment 328250 View attachment 328251 View attachment 328252 View attachment 328253
That’s a neat idea there mate thanks for sharing. Couple questions if you don’t mind?
Roughly how much water sits in the bottom of the steriliser? Or do you just keep adding until you have the right humidity?
And also what is the white mesh looking stuff the eggs are sitting on?
Thanks again mate

this info is great , I have been breeding dragons for ages but pythons will be a new experience
I guess the one big thing I did was worry a lot she wasn’t going to lay... but now when I look back it was SO obvious she was going to lay..

Here’s some before and after laying eggs of her size..
Note the crazy colour differences haha

That’s a neat idea there mate thanks for sharing. Couple questions if you don’t mind?
Roughly how much water sits in the bottom of the steriliser? Or do you just keep adding until you have the right humidity?
And also what is the white mesh looking stuff the eggs are sitting on?
Thanks again mate
You just need enough water to provide the humidity, too little and it will slowly evaporate and need to be topped up. I use enough water to still leave a bit of space below the eggs to avoid getting the eggs wet when you move the container, never had to add any water. The sterilisers have hard plastic moulded shapes designed to support bottles so you need something soft for the eggs to rest on, the mesh came from a $2 store, not sure what it was intended for. There is a raised centre in the plastic base that you have to remove with a cutting disk or soldering iron.

Great thread mate,

I’ve also got a clutch of bredli due around the same time as you.
I chose to go with the maternal incubation method, I set up a lay box with damp sphagnum moss right after pre lay shed and she loved it,
Getting so close to hatching day!

I noticed the sphagnum moss dries out quite a lot so I will probably go with vermiculite next year, I took some moss out and soaked it again and put it back into the tub.
but other then that the eggs look great still.

Goodluck!
[doublepost=1582255237,1582254672][/doublepost]Update, I just had a look and I have 4 hatching as we speak

Great thread mate,

I’ve also got a clutch of bredli due around the same time as you.
I chose to go with the maternal incubation method, I set up a lay box with damp sphagnum moss right after pre lay shed and she loved it,
Getting so close to hatching day!

I noticed the sphagnum moss dries out quite a lot so I will probably go with vermiculite next year, I took some moss out and soaked it again and put it back into the tub.
but other then that the eggs look great still.

Goodluck!
[doublepost=1582255237,1582254672][/doublepost]Update, I just had a look and I have 4 hatching as we speak
when did she lay? :)) im super excited EEEEE

at time of this post, i just candled them and theyre very active in their egg!

when did she lay? :)) im super excited EEEEE

at time of this post, i just candled them and theyre very active in their egg!

On the 28/29th of December in the night while I was asleep,

I haven’t checked since I last posted but there were four little heads sticking out of their eggs,

Im in the process of setting up their tubs in the rack.
She only laid about 10 or 11 eggs,
So I’m interested to see how many hatch via this MI method.

On the 28/29th of December in the night while I was asleep,

I haven’t checked since I last posted but there were four little heads sticking out of their eggs,

Im in the process of setting up their tubs in the rack.
She only laid about 10 or 11 eggs,
So I’m interested to see how many hatch via this MI method.
do u know what the average temp was? i'd guess 32~? would be about 55 days

Latest posts

Back