Unsure if I should be worried about my diamond intergrade, help please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trouzathesnake

Reaction score
Good evening,
I am the pet owner of trouza the diamond python, he is 13 months old currently 13 months old.
I feet trouza fuzzies roughly once every 3 weeks, he strikes for the fuzzy but then sniffs around his enclosure and his own body for a good 15-30 mins before consuming. Just wondering if anyone has had this before and if they know what might be the case?
At times it seems like his vision is lacking.
Thanks all
Mikaela
[doublepost=1578479695,1578479659][/doublepost]Sorry typo error

Good morning Mikaela
I have some coastal diamond intergrades who sometimes do what you describe , but sometimes consume it straight away. Not sure why but as long as he eats it , i wouldn't worry to much. And i wouldn't say they have bad eyesight , but quit different to ours im sure.

This is pretty common and nothing to worry about. Some snakes are very good at finding the head, some take forever some are prone to eating them backwards, some youngsters grow out of it, some never do. Some are particularly stupid and actually give up, often needing to be refed multiple times before they manage to find the head.

This has nothing to do with vision. Snakes primarily use smell and touch to find the head, they can't recognise a head by looking at it. Blind snakes find the head or their prey about as well as snakes with functional eyes.

as long as it eats it and no other medical conditions, snakes can be a little weird at times

as long as it eats it and no other medical conditions, snakes can be a little weird at times

As Sdaji indicates it's quite common and nothing to worry about but can I suggest to maybe considering up sizing the feeds to adult mice or hopper rats as these would be more suitable for an 18 month old Carpet.

As Sdaji indicates it's quite common and nothing to worry about but can I suggest to maybe considering up sizing the feeds to adult mice or hopper rats as these would be more suitable for an 18 month old Carpet.

That's a good point, sometimes an inappropriately-sized feed (either too large or too small) can make it difficult for them to find the head. Base the size of the feed on the size of the snake. Generally speaking, something around 20% of the size of a Carpet Python is a good meal. I'd usually have a Carpet Python on adult rats or at least around 150g rats by that age, but most people grow them a bit slower.

Latest posts

Back