Heath/Rosenbergs Monitor Conservation Status?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobe404

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the conservation status of the Rosenbergs Monitor?

I have done searches but come up with conflicting results.

In the wake of the Kangaroo Island fires it has got me even more worried to be honest. Especially being that they are the only Monitor (that I know of) that occur on KI.

Plus they don't seem to be overly common in captivity either.

How do you think they would of coped?

Or would they have evolved long enough to realise when fires are coming and just bolt or burrow down enough until the fires pass?

Last edited:
They'll be fine on Kangaroo Island. Australian wildlife (and plants) has evolved to deal with fire. For 60,000 years the wilderness has been routinely set on fire. This exterminated many species of plants and animals tens of thousands of years ago (the reality is amusingly contradictory to the 'native people lived in harmony with the land nonsense myths). Many Australian plants especially the dominant tree species have seeds which won't even grow until after they are cooked or smoked by fire.

The forest will recover, the fires were overdue which is why they burned so hard and wide. The cycle will continue and the monitors along with it.

Latest posts

Back