Found my gecko after 7 months!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance

Reaction score
90EAFD0D-FD5E-46B1-B5B7-D2612D39B4F4.jpeg
My beautiful southern marbled gecko “Ninja” sadly went missing back in April of last year and after months of searching I had all but given up hope of ever seeing him again... But then in December I spied a gecko outside hiding beneath my air conditioning unit that had just lost its tail. I couldn’t catch him then but wanted to get a good look at him as I’d only ever seen geckos with lost tails after they’d grown back in... so armed with a flashlight I went back outside that evening and found the little guy behind a stack of wood and caught him and brought him inside for observation...

After a while I noticed something familiar about him... after carefully matching his markings to photos I had in my phone I realised that it was in fact my Ninja! He’s been home for over a month now and his tail is growing back in nicely!! Just thought I’d share the good news as I’m completely stoked that he’s home and thought it might be uplifting for anyone searching for a lost animal...

3FD7EE13-9CEE-4ABA-99E2-338E4095F199.jpeg

E89E9702-7385-4987-A4A6-158230078738.jpeg

Happy ending for you and Ninja .

I have a similar lost pet story with my captive bred juvenile male eastern water skink Cheakie.

He jumped out of his 29L rearing tub one day when I was changing his water and putting some live insects in his feeder dish. Ended up on the floor and promptly disappeared under the big display cabinet before I could pick him back up , then spent a few days roaming about the house - often seen on the kitchen floor and top of lounge and on the carpet exploring but too fast to catch..
Then disappeared ( found his way outside) , and a week or so later was spotted a few times by my wife and I under the back of the house and near the back steps.
Even let us get within a foot of him before retreating ( but never scurrying away ) so we started giving him a cricket or two or some mealworms each time we saw him (I suspected this skink was my lost pet as his markings looked very similar in photos ).
He then showed up under my aircon at the front of the house about 2 months after his escape , and was coaxed into a "trap" with some mealworms , and brought inside and given a very close examination when he'd been returned to his rearing tub.

Like you I compared the makings on the captured water skink's franks with photos of Cheakie's and I found them to be identical , he's been back with us since about 2 weeks before Xmas and very quickly settled back into his old routine and if anything now seems much tamer and settled ( maybe just older ) and has been thriving and appears to be a very contented skink..

He and my two captive bred adult females will soon be moving into a 1200mm L x 596mm W x 400mm T home made tank to establish a colony .
He's now as big as my two adult girls who have been living in a converted 120L tub for a few years now and get on wonderfully with each other..
Yes as a precaution I'll partition off one half from the other with a removeable sheet of 6mm clear acrylic ( installed in some aluminium channel ) , he'll get one side , the two girls will go in the other side and I'll see how they respond to his presence before removing the partition.
I'm hoping the two older females will be OK with his presence , but if not , I'll replace the clear acrylic partition with some white coloured acrylic and only allow the group to mix in spring.

Last edited:
Happy ending for you and Ninja .

I have a similar lost pet story with my captive bred juvenile male eastern water skink Cheakie.

He jumped out of his 29L rearing tub one day when I was changing his water and putting some live insects in his feeder dish. Ended up on the floor and promptly disappeared under the big display cabinet before I could pick him back up , then spent a few days roaming about the house - often seen on the kitchen floor and top of lounge and on the carpet exploring but too fast to catch..
Then disappeared ( found his way outside) , and a week or so later was spotted a few times and allowed my wife and I under the back of the house and near the back steps.
Even let us get within a foot of him before retreating ( but never scurrying away ) so we started giving him a cricket or two or some mealworms each time we saw him (I suspected this skink was my lost pet as his markings looked very similar in photos ).
He then showed up under my aircon at the front of the house about 2 months after his escape , and was coaxed into a "trap" with some mealworms , and brought inside and given a very close examination when he'd been returned to his rearing tub.

Like you I compared the makings on the captured water skink's franks with photos of Cheakie's and I found them to be identical , he's been back with us since about 2 weeks before Xmas and very quickly settled back into his old routine and if anything now seems much tamer and settled ( maybe just older ) and has been thriving and appears to be a very contented skink..

He and my two captive bred adult females will soon be moving into a 1200mm L x 596mm W x 400mm T home made tank to establish a colony .
He's now as big as my two adult girls who have been living in a converted 120L tub for a few years now and get on wonderfully with each other..
Yes as a precaution I'll partition off one half from the other with a removeable sheet of 6mm clear acrylic ( installed in some aluminium channel ) , he'll get one side , the two girls will go in the other side and I'll see how they respond to his presence before removing the partition.
I'm hoping the two older females will be OK with his presence , but if not , I'll replace the clear acrylic partition with some white coloured acrylic and only allow the group to mix in spring.
Oh wow that’s amazing! So glad you found Cheakie! And how strange that we both found our missing pets underneath the aircon?!

Latest posts

Back