SWCP body condition

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earthchild13

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Newbie - apologies in advance if I'm asking daft questions.
Got our SW carpet in November and it was extremely thin. 80cm, 14mths old and was getting 1 hopper every 14 days.

We upped it to weekly feeds of same and he put on some weight. Went through a very easy, trouble free shed a few weeks later.

He started losing weight again but was much more active now. So we moved to weaner mice. First attempt he didn't eat it so we gave him a hopper, which he devoured. 2 seconds later he scoffed the weaner too (we had left it in the tub thinking we would remove it after he was out of "hunting mode").

No issues with digestion or pooping and still very active and happy.

So we have graduated to 2x weaners every 6-7 days (depending on when he poops).

He eats without hesitation, is healthy and active in every way, has grown from 80 to over 120cm in 2 months, handles well and is a very curious lil dude - except I am wondering about his body condition. He "fattens up" for a day or two after a feed and is still much better than when we got him but I am unsure about what is healthy for him. Hence the photo...

Is this lean for a SWCP?
Note: He is due to poop & feed in a couple of days.

Thanks in advance for any views and advice :)photostudio_1579738046492.jpg

Hard to judge his body size from that photo but a 1.2m SW carpet should be eating much larger food than weaner mice. More like a fair sized weaner rat every 2 weeks.

Hard to judge his body size from that photo but a 1.2m SW carpet should be eating much larger food than weaner mice. More like a fair sized weaner rat every 2 weeks.

Thanks for the reply Yellowtail.
I will upload a few other photos of him.
He has a bit of a pin head :D so I've never been sure what he will be capable of swallowing.
I was told to feed prey similar to the thickest part of his body (I say "his" but I don't know the sex). I don't know what size a weaner rat is but I s'pose can always get a few and try next feed and see if he takes it.

photostudio_1579752277568.jpg
[doublepost=1579753072,1579753016][/doublepost]photostudio_1579752517438.jpg
[doublepost=1579753104][/doublepost]photostudio_1579752420028.jpg
[doublepost=1579753168][/doublepost]photostudio_1579752362971.jpg

Looks like he is about the right body thickness for his length considering he has only been fed small mice and the head seems normal. Try and get approx 80gm weaner rats. If you have any problem switching him from mice to rats thaw a mouse with the rat and feed him the mouse and soon as he gets it down try the rat.

Looks like he is about the right body thickness for his length considering he has only been fed small mice and the head seems normal. Try and get approx 80gm weaner rats. If you have any problem switching him from mice to rats thaw a mouse with the rat and feed him the mouse and soon as he gets it down try the rat.

Thankyou so much! Really appreciate the advice :)

Good advice above.

Don't worry about waiting for him to poop before feeding him again, and snakes can eat things much wider than their own bodies. He does look a bit skinny in the first picture but better in the next ones. Feeds around 20% of the snake's own weight are generally good, depending on age and how often you feed. Adult snakes shouldn't be fed too much but young snakes will put it into growth unless you really go overboard.

Seems like he's in good hands :)

Good advice above.

Don't worry about waiting for him to poop before feeding him again, and snakes can eat things much wider than their own bodies. He does look a bit skinny in the first picture but better in the next ones. Feeds around 20% of the snake's own weight are generally good, depending on age and how often you feed. Adult snakes shouldn't be fed too much but young snakes will put it into growth unless you really go overboard.

Seems like he's in good hands :)
Thanks Sadji. He is definitely looking better as time goes on. And growing so fast!
I'll try to weigh him before his next feed

Latest posts

Back