I don’t know what to do anymore

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get a cool and hot side by having the heat source on one side only , this should give the enclosure a thermal gradient of hot to cold across the bottom. Do you have a IR temperature gun? If not buy one! Ypu can test surface temperatures with the laser beam. I dont feel you need a elevated hide. You just need stuff for a jungle python to climb on and hides on the hot and cool side.
You do not need to keep the water elevated either.
You really Only need to mist if its going into shed. I live in NSW and 40° heat and with the occasional mist my snakes shed perfectly.
Some natural sunlight is good and wont hurt the animal.
Lots of stuff like branches and things to climb on is good but dont just go out and find them and put them in the enclosure. They need to be treated for pests first.
[doublepost=1580158843,1580158800][/doublepost]Use water to mist.

You get a cool and hot side by having the heat source on one side only , this should give the enclosure a thermal gradient of hot to cold across the bottom. Do you have a IR temperature gun? If not buy one! Ypu can test surface temperatures with the laser beam. I dont feel you need a elevated hide. You just need stuff for a jungle python to climb on and hides on the hot and cool side.
You really Only need to mist if its going into shed. I live in NSW and 40° heat and with the occasional mist my snakes shed perfectly.
Lots of stuff like branches and things to climb on is good but dont just go out and find them and put them in the enclosure. They need to be treated for pests first.

thanks for the help and I will make sure to get a temp gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's a year old and eating pinkies it's either extremely hungry or severely undersized or both. When I was breeding Carpet Pythons I started them on pink rats or fuzzy mice for their first feeds. By one year of age I'd usually have them on 100-150g rats, sometimes larger. A starving snake is likely to be desperate enough to try to eat anything which looks alive. Make sure the temperatures are appropriate and sort out an appropriate feeding program.

If it's a year old and eating pinkies it's either extremely hungry or severely undersized or both. When I was breeding Carpet Pythons I started them on pink rats or fuzzy mice for their first feeds. By one year of age I'd usually have them on 100-150g rats, sometimes larger. A starving snake is likely to be desperate enough to try to eat anything which looks alive. Make sure the temperatures are appropriate and sort out an appropriate feeding program.

Thank you so much!Also,should I feed her twice at once or 2 times a week?Again,thank you so much for the help!

I also have another question(last one).Is your tank horizontal or vertical?I have a vertical tank so there isn’t a lot of room to put the temp gradient on the bottom.Is it ok if I put the heat on the top and nothing on the bottom will that work?Or should I also have both a heat lamp and heat mat on the top and nothing on the bottom?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have another question(last one).Is your tank horizontal or vertical?I have a vertical tank so there isn’t a lot of room to put the temp gradient on the bottom.Is it ok if I put the heat on the top and nothing on the bottom will that work?Or should I also have both a heat lamp and heat mat on the top and nothing on the bottom?

Can you take some pictures? Is there a self under the heat source? If there is place the hide on the shelf and make sure you are getting the right temps in to the hot spot. The snake will move around where it needs to but you need to have the hot spot right at least.
I will try and post a picture of the enclosure i am having made.

received_170929454163251.jpeg

Can you take some pictures? Is there a self under the heat source? If there is place the hide on the shelf and make sure you are getting the right temps in to the hot spot. The snake will move around where it needs to but you need to have the hot spot right at least.
I will try and post a picture of the enclosure i am having made.

View attachment 328390

85f1fb67546633100d190cdc943c8515.jpg

This is the enclosure(she’s eating right now)I do have a shelf but the hide on top isn’t on there currently.She mainly uses the branch she’s on right now.There is a heating pad under the enclosure as well

That is a very large for a snake of that size. As long as there are plenty of hides it shoud be ok. If you can get a hide spot close to the light that would help. Most people only run one heat source but id continue to run with both in that enclosure for now. Where does she spent most of her time? Top or bottom heat source? Be sure you are using a thermostat on both heat sources if running two.

That is a very large for a snake of that size. As long as there are plenty of hides it shoud be ok. If you can get a hide spot close to the light that would help. Most people only run one heat source but id continue to run with both in that enclosure for now. Where does she spent most of her time? Top or bottom heat source? Be sure you are using a thermostat on both heat sources if running two.

She spends most of the time right where she is right now.Ill make sure to get more stuff.

She spends most of the time right where she is right now.Ill make sure to get more stuff.

Test the surface temps there with a IR temp gun. You might just find that is the perfect temp there , if so put some sort of hide in or around that spot.

Thank you so much!Also,should I feed her twice at once or 2 times a week?Again,thank you so much for the help!

I'm not quite sure what your question means, but I'd give appropriate sized meals (at least 15% of the snake's weight in a situation like this) and at least once per week, probably every 5 days or so. If the feeds are larger you can go for weekly feeding or even slightly less, if the feeds are smaller you can feed every 4-5 days. Don't wait for her to poop. Given that she's so hungry and small for her age she may try to eat meals too large, and may regurgitate, so keep it sensible, but it sounds like you're currently massively underfeeding so that's unlikely to be an issue.

That enclosure isn't ideal. People often recommend vertical enclosures for Carpets but it's bad advice, particularly for newbies because vertical enclosures are difficult to get the temperatures right in. If you are going to use a vertical enclosure, use floor heat over about a quarter of the floor (easy to provide using a heat mat or heat cord). It'll still be a bit tricky but as long as you do that it should be okay.

I'm not quite sure what your question means, but I'd give appropriate sized meals (at least 15% of the snake's weight in a situation like this) and at least once per week, probably every 5 days or so. If the feeds are larger you can go for weekly feeding or even slightly less, if the feeds are smaller you can feed every 4-5 days. Don't wait for her to poop. Given that she's so hungry and small for her age she may try to eat meals too large, and may regurgitate, so keep it sensible, but it sounds like you're currently massively underfeeding so that's unlikely to be an issue.

That enclosure isn't ideal. People often recommend vertical enclosures for Carpets but it's bad advice, particularly for newbies because vertical enclosures are difficult to get the temperatures right in. If you are going to use a vertical enclosure, use floor heat over about a quarter of the floor (easy to provide using a heat mat or heat cord). It'll still be a bit tricky but as long as you do that it should be okay.
Can I also feed her 2 times a day?My mom recommended that,but it sound Ike a BAD idea.If she needs more food in a day I should just get bigger mice right?Thank you!

Test the surface temps there with a IR temp gun. You might just find that is the perfect temp there , if so put some sort of hide in or around that spot.

Yeah ok,the hard thing is trying to get an elevated hide.Thats why I’m trying a suction cup hide that mounts to the side of the cage.Ill definitely get a temp gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I also feed her 2 times a day?My mom recommended that,but it sound Ike a BAD idea.If she needs more food in a day I should just get bigger mice right?Thank you!

Yeah ok,the hard thing is trying to get an elevated hide.Thats why I’m trying a suction cup hide that mounts to the side of the cage.Ill definitely get a temp gun.

You’re considering advice from your mum over the decades of experience of sdaji? Just do what he says, 15% of snake body weight feeds once every 5days

Suction cup hide is a TERRIBLE IDEA... what happens when it falls and your snakes inside? Or it falls and hits your snake in the head?

As far as two feeds in one day goes, it's basically like one meal. It's not exactly harmful but it's pointless. As Herpetology says, you might as well go for one larger item than two smaller items, but if you must go for smaller items for some reason, feed them immediately after each other rather than later on the same day (not that it really matters if they're hours apart). If you feed within about 4-5 days, don't give large meals. It's okay to give them a meal 20% of their body weight and then do it again in 5 days, but two meals of 20% of the body weight (40% of the snakes weight in total) within one (or within 3-4 days) might be a problem. As a beginner, don't complicate things or experiment too much. I'm all for crazy experiments but get some experience and understand what you're doing first or you'll probably end up doing things experience would tell you not to do.

Also as Herpetology says, don't rely on suction cups in an enclosure. With animals it's always a good idea to go with simple, sturdy, easy, reliable options. You'd really be best off with a new enclosure but most important if you are going to use it is to get some floor heat as I described.

You’re considering advice from your mum over the decades of experience of sdaji? Just do what he says, 15% of snake body weight feeds once every 5days

Suction cup hide is a TERRIBLE IDEA... what happens when it falls and your snakes inside? Or it falls and hits your snake in the head?

Lol yeah your right.

Latest posts

Back