Living happily together

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaughan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm building a 10m square fully inclosed enclosure with river and two waterfalls I'm wondering what reptiles live happily together I want a couple of breeding sets in it And any other reptile like turtles and frogs but no snakes in this environment please help any idea is a good one

Thank u for your help now I how what animals are good together what should the plant life be I can make up to four different climates 5m × 5m each one

Hi all I'm building a 10m square fully inclosed enclosure with river and two waterfalls I'm wondering what reptiles live happily together I want a couple of breeding sets in it And any other reptile like turtles and frogs but no snakes in this environment please help any idea is a good one

Hi Shaughan.

Mate I've kept lizards in outside pits on and off for the past 50 odd years and can assure you that provided the area is large enough with plenty of appropriate shelter sites most of the the larger species of skinks and dragons can co-inhabit without too much trouble. The only restriction on the types would depend on your location and local climate. Personally I believe that it is without doubt the best way to house larger species of lizards especially if you want to observe them do their thing in as natural setting as possible. The only real problems you'd face is that smaller skinks and frogs won't survive if you intend to keep Water Dragons, Bearded Dragons and turtles. Water Dragons and Beardeds will eat anything small enough to get into their mouth and, depending on the species, turtles will also clean up any frogs missed by the lizards. If your intention is to breed critters in the pit just be aware that Water Dragons will dig up and eat any eggs laid by the Beardeds (or other species of dragons), as well as eat any of their own off spring and baby Bluetongues if they are not removed after hatching or are born. Best of luck with your project.

Hope this helps.

George.

Hi Shaughan.

Mate I've kept lizards in outside pits on and off for the past 50 odd years and can assure you that provided the area is large enough with plenty of appropriate shelter sites most of the the larger species of skinks and dragons can co-inhabit without too much trouble. The only restriction on the types would depend on your location and local climate. Personally I believe that it is without doubt the best way to house larger species of lizards especially if you want to observe them do their thing in as natural setting as possible. The only real problems you'd face is that smaller skinks and frogs won't survive if you intend to keep Water Dragons, Bearded Dragons and turtles. Water Dragons and Beardeds will eat anything small enough to get into their mouth and, depending on the species, turtles will also clean up any frogs missed by the lizards. If your intention is to breed critters in the pit just be aware that Water Dragons will dig up and eat any eggs laid by the Beardeds (or other species of dragons), as well as eat any of their own off spring and baby Bluetongues if they are not removed after hatching or are born. Best of luck with your project.

Hope this helps.

George.

Thank u George that does help a lot I'm making it as natural as possible and the location would be far north nsw near the QLD border near Glen innes

Omg can you please post photos as you go ...
This is literally exactly the kind of thing i want to build when im older and have some space!

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Thank u George that does help a lot I'm making it as natural as possible and the location would be far north nsw near the QLD border near Glen innes

Just another thing. Make sure you have footings at least 60cm deep around your perimeter to avoid the lizards digging their way out.

Just another thing. Make sure you have footings at least 60cm deep around your perimeter to avoid the lizards digging their way out.
Couldn't you just put some chicken wire around the bottom?

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Easiest solution is to either lay a bed of pavers or a concrete slab, then fix the pit walls to it o the pavers , and bury the pavers or concrete slab in your choice of pit bedding.
They wont be able to dig through these and escape , and predators will not be able to dig their way in.

Here's some pics of my pit and some of it's occupants when I lived in Inverell. The only things I haven't been able to find photos of are the resident Common and Blotched Blueys The pit itself was 4m wide x 6m long and 1.3m high. It was constructed using recycled sheets of roofing iron (painted green) on a steel frame over recycled brick footings. Landscaping was kept simple. I'm not a believer in cuddling, petting or handling lizards I prefer to just sit around and watch them and I think you'll see why from the pics.

SAM_1095 (2).JPG Male and female Eastern Water Dragons

FemaleBeraded 2.jpg
1 of 5 female Eastern Bearded Dragons

S1030279.jpg
Above female laying eggs

SAM_1105.JPG Pair of Shinglebacks

SAM_1112.JPG Male Eastern Water Dragon

SAM_1108.JPG
Male Eastern Bearded Dragon showing some form.

Back