Bearded dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaughan

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all over a year ago I bought two bearded dragons off extreme pets in Liverpool one male a leatherback one female normal to bread the female never grow could there be a possibility they sold me a pygmy instead of a normal

I doubt very much they sold you the wrong species of dragon, I know these people and actually bought my first pair of centrals from the owner and also bought a python there as well

I doubt very much they sold you the wrong species of dragon, I know these people and actually bought my first pair of centrals from the owner and also bought a python there as well

Well the female is only 28cm and the male is 48cm and I got them both at the start of last year and there both in 3x2x2 enclosers I had to get another tank because the male started to attack the female I've got snakes from the same place and I've never had an issue with them I'm not saying there a bad place I'm only asking could they get it wrong
[doublepost=1581846088,1581845816][/doublepost]It's not letting me upload a photo it's saying it's to big or something

Bearded dragons are in general solitary and territorial creatures so I'm not at all surprised there was conflict. Also 3x2x2 is not a lot of space for a dragon compared to the wild and having two in that space probably amplified the dispute.

I would need photos to verify but that size difference certainly does indicate either growth stunting or a different species as you said you suspect. Female dragons can be a a lot smaller than males but they should probably grow longer than 30cm. Some snout to vent measurements (tip of the head to the butt) would be nice to help confirm since dragons can have varying tail lengths.

Bearded dragons are in general solitary and territorial creatures so I'm not at all surprised there was conflict. Also 3x2x2 is not a lot of space for a dragon compared to the wild and having two in that space probably amplified the dispute.

I would need photos to verify but that size difference certainly does indicate either growth stunting or a different species as you said you suspect. Female dragons can be a a lot smaller than males but they should probably grow longer than 30cm. Some snout to vent measurements (tip of the head to the butt) would be nice to help confirm since dragons can have varying tail lengths.

Thank u and her head to butt measures at 11.5cm

She's almost 1year old

20200218_170726.jpg
[doublepost=1582006252,1582006101][/doublepost]He's 1 month younger then her

20200218_171004.jpg

def not a pygmy, both centrals but 1 is just a slow grower. I have hatchies ATM and some are absolute pigs while others just look at the food running past them. Are you 100% sure they are M & F ? sometimes as babies it can be hard to tell but if 1 was attacking the other I'd recheck. I have sometimes been confused in the past as to sex .

Last edited:
def not a pygmy, both centrals but 1 is just a slow grower. I have hatchies ATM and some are absolute pigs while others just look at the food running past them. Are you 100% sure they are M & F ? sometimes as babies it can be hard to tell but if 1 was attacking the other I'd recheck. I have sometimes been confused in the past as to sex .

No I'm not sure it's just what I've been told when I brought them off the pet store I can upload pics of there under side if that helps u tell me what sex they are I know the males are ment to have two bumps and the female has one or something like that
Once again thank u for your help
[doublepost=1582023477,1582023364][/doublepost]If they are both males I would really like to bread the leather back male so if u have any good hatches that would suit him and if u live near Sydney I would love to buy a female off u

Thank u and her head to butt measures at 11.5cm

Thanks for the info. Given she's only a year old I'd say she's just slow growing. Average length of a wild caught female is approximately 22cm snout to vent, I can see why you might've suspected she is a pygmy but from the pictures she looks like a central. If she's the same size in a year's time then you might have some cause for concern.

Your male is looking good but he's also got some growing to do.

Thank u for your help yeah I know his not fully grown yet and I will keep a close eye on the female

No I'm not sure it's just what I've been told when I brought them off the pet store I can upload pics of there under side if that helps u tell me what sex they are I know the males are ment to have two bumps and the female has one or something like that
Once again thank u for your help
[doublepost=1582023477,1582023364][/doublepost]If they are both males I would really like to bread the leather back male so if u have any good hatches that would suit him and if u live near Sydney I would love to buy a female off u
The correct method for visual sexing is to hold the dragon in your hand with the tail facing you, lift the tail about 70-80 degrees and look at the base of the tail, you should see 2 small red things if it's male .There are many youtube videos showing how to do this. You are correct in males having 2 bulges, these are the hemipenes, all reptiles have these so they can mate from either side. If it turns out you have 2 males I can help you out, I am very close to LIverpool

The correct method for visual sexing is to hold the dragon in your hand with the tail facing you, lift the tail about 70-80 degrees and look at the base of the tail, you should see 2 small red things if it's male .There are many youtube videos showing how to do this. You are correct in males having 2 bulges, these are the hemipenes, all reptiles have these so they can mate from either side. If it turns out you have 2 males I can help you out, I am very close to LIverpool

That's funny I live at Guildford area we r close to each other I've checked both lizards and the male is 100% male I can't tell the other one it's to small to check or see anything I mite not be doing it right or something and thank u for the offer to come give me a week or so and I will take u up on it

I guess it is possible for two female bearded dragons or one male and one female to live together but does anyone know if two males can be kept in the same space and live together?
one will kill the other, theyre a solitary animal and should only be together for breeding

even juveniles will bite eachothers limbs/digits off

I have seen it done but as above its not advisable as they can loose limbs not worth the risk if u ask me tbh mate

You can have them living together for years but one day you will wake to find a Dead Dragon, they are solatary animals and very territorial. It doesn't look like it but a Bearded Dragon can crush the skull of another Bearded Dragon. My Bearded Dragon doesn't like my Pygmy Dragon that lives next door to him, we have put up boards to block the view so they don't stress. It is highly recommended that you do not keep them together in one enclosure, either Female and Female or Female and Male.

Latest posts

Back