Jungle Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustproof

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guy's and Gals,

I adopted a full grown Yellow Jungle Python, he wants to bite like crazy. I wanted to give him a home because nobody wanted him, I have been handling him as often as possible and feeding him up because he was underweight, sometimes he is making progress then other times he is getting very stressed and hissing by heavy breathing.

My problem is that I am concerned by him getting so stressed, I think I need to find him another home for someone who wants a display animal or euthanize him. It is not fair for an animal to be so stressed and obviously he can't be let go.

I am looking for suggestions what to do. I have 6 other Pythons and have been able to rehabilitate them all after adoption but I feel I have met my match with this guy. Unfortunately I have no information on his history and I think he is about 8 years old given the size of his head. It just isn't fair for him to be so stressed, his health is excellent he poo's and Sheds well so I don't want to put him down, he is so beautiful just to much for me to handle.

Noel
P.S I am very serious about this so please no stupid replies, I am looking for advice.

So you want to *potentially* euthanise a healthy animal because you can’t handle it without it getting stressed?

Now that Sounds unfair for the animal

Jungles are known for being difficult to handle and are bitey, of course you get the odd animal that’s fine..

Sounds like this is definitely a case of display the animal in a nice enclosure , don’t handle the animal.. snakes don’t “like” being handled anyway

Good job on getting his weight back up though :)

Ps, the heavy hissing is A warning if you will to “go away or I’ll tag you”

So you want to *potentially* euthanise a healthy animal because you can’t handle it without it getting stressed?

Now that Sounds unfair for the animal

Jungles are known for being difficult to handle and are bitey, of course you get the odd animal that’s fine..

Sounds like this is definitely a case of display the animal in a nice enclosure , don’t handle the animal.. snakes don’t “like” being handled anyway

Good job on getting his weight back up though :)

Ps, the heavy hissing is A warning if you will to “go away or I’ll tag you”

I understand all my animals and they do enjoy being handled, they often will come out once they see me. I open the door and they come out on their own into my hands, they are not stressed in any way. Stress as you know is a silent killer in Snakes, if they get too stressed they will die which is not nice. I have had times where I have had him out and he is fine and I can trust him to a point, the next time he is aggressive again. The last thing I want to do is euthanize him but I am not sure what to do otherwise, I could surrender him but then he has to get used to another Human and possibly end up in the same position anyway. I don't mind giving him time and effort to get him socialized so I want to find out what others have done with their Jungles in socializing them.

You say it is unfair to put a healthy animal down, I see it unfair to keep him in a place where he has no hope of getting out and not enjoying his environment. I make sure my animals get handled regularly, they stay with me and can roam a little. One likes to get inside my shirt pocket and put his head up whilst I watch TV, he would stay there for up to 3 hours. My 2M MD carpet loves to coil up between my legs and go to sleep, he also loves getting his picture taken with Santa (Who is an RSPCA Inspector). People come and watch him have his picture taken and want to talk to me about him, girls want selfies with him and kids want to see what a Snake feels like.

People think Snakes have no feelings but when people see them interact with me, they tell me that they can see the love. I Never want to Kill anything, I even pick up Cockroaches and put them outside so putting him down is a very last resort, I just don't want him stressed. I also have 3 cats which could be causing him stress too, I know my lizards are a bit concerned about him but I really don't want to hurt him in any way.

I understand all my animals and they do enjoy being handled, they often will come out once they see me. I open the door and they come out on their own into my hands, they are not stressed in any way
Your right, I have a stimson who does that.

Last edited:
Back