First time owner questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kahlem Alexander

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post. My (Empty) snake tank has three lights. Two infra-red heat lamps (75W) on one end, and one white UV light (13W) on the other. I wanted to know if these should both be on at the same time, when/how long they should be on for, and when to turn them off. Thank you in advance.

Hi Kahlem
If the snake tank is empty then i would leave them all off , all of the time , it would be more economical :) ! But seriously more info would help , like what do you plan on keeping in it, for example ?

My apologies, I more so looking for information when the tank has a snake in it. As for what snake I plan on keeping in it, a Murray Darling hatchling. Currently I only have a hide on the hot end, So I'm curious if that should be moved, or if a second one should be added to the cool end
[doublepost=1584431700,1584431412][/doublepost]An image would probably help. This is by no means a finished setup, I plan on adding timber and (shop) plant foliage, along with another hide if you guys deem it necessary.

IMG_20200317_185120 (1).jpg

Personaly , i would forget about the heat lamps and get a heat mat or heat cord and run it through a thermostat , more effective and much more economical.

drop the red globes does more damage than good,just use regular globes, drop 2 heat globes use 1 instead (2x 75w will get too hot especially without a thermostat)

or do as CF recommended, run some heat cord sandwiched between 2 large tiles and sit it under the substrate

edit: definitely get different uv globe as that one looks like its barely lighting anything up and looks more yellow than white!

depending on the size of snake when u get it, that enclosure may be TOO large and will be more suitable in a simple click clack esque setup ontop of a heat mat for the first year or so (do not sit the tub under those globes thinking "well i have them may aswell use them")

keep lighting and heating to as natural as possible, 5-7 in summer, 7-4 in winter (if that) but for the first year of a snake keep its **heat** 24/7 which is where heatmats and cords excel in providing heat but no light!

Thank you for your feedback. I want to ensure this snake has the best home it can, which is why I'm asking for help in advance. What type of UV light should I get, and how would I go about setting up/buying the heat cord? As for the Uv light, I use android, so it just messed with the colour a bit, it is very much white when viewed by the eyes. As for the globes, I was specifically told to use two of those ones by the shop I bought the tank from. If they are unsuitable, what should I replace them with?
[doublepost=1584437787,1584435009][/doublepost]Would it be better if the the red lights were replaced by two infrared ceramic heat emitters?

Last edited:
Like i said , forget the infrared bulbs or ceramic heat emitters and get a heat mat or heat cord . They are much more efficient and much cheaper to run. Of course the shop will tell you to use light bulbs as they profit every time you blow one, and from experiance they don't last very long . Carpet pythons do not NEED uv light , just a normal light bulb on a timer will do fine.

Unfortunately, I don't think my tank will be suitable for either assuming they need external power and the mat has to be placed outside, as this tank has is flat to the table (no place to put the mat), and has no panels/holes/gaps of any kind for wires to go through (for the heat cord) aside from the front glass, which I can't have open unsupervised by myself.

You could sandwich a heat cord between 2 tiles and use a drill to make a small hole in the back or side of the enclosure to pass the heat cord through. I wouldn't give up on that enclosure yet it could be easily modified to suit your needs

I will most certainly consider everything you have said, and am very thankful for it. Aside from the lights, I also plan on adding a second hide down the cooler end now as well. Is there anything else that should be added/removed/considered?
[doublepost=1584444433,1584443835][/doublepost]For heat cords though, what type of tile should be used?

Carpets like to climb , so some branches or plastic plants would be a good idea.
[doublepost=1584444628,1584444479][/doublepost]Try getting slate tiles , though any ceramic tiles will probably do.

As stated above, I've already got some climbing/basking timber and foliage, just didn't include it in the picture, but thank you anyway. If I may ask, where would you recommend getting heat cords from?
[doublepost=1584446734,1584444845][/doublepost]Hello again. I've managed to get some tiles if you guys wouldn't mind checking to see if their size and position is suitable. There is another under the hide, but the one up front is uncovered to show the size and the area it covers.

IMG_20200317_225945 (1).jpg

The size of the tile looks fine. If thats the hot end then the position looks fine too. You can buy heat cord at most petshops , it comes in different lengths (wattages) . By the looks of the photo, a 50 watt cord would be more than enough , maybe a slightly lower wattage cord would do. You should run it through a thermostat as well.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back