Heat tile

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derekw

Reaction score
Good morning,

After much thought and reading up i have decided i will run a heat tile along with a 40W spot globe (never at the same time) My question is what wattage heat cord will work best for a 970x650x650 enclosure? Im thinking a 40cm tile? Maybe a 25W cord?
I have read that people just sandwich the head cord bettween the tiles but are you guys using silicone or something as well to stick it there? I have purchased another Microclimate Evo lite thermostat to run with the tile and im guessing people just sit the probe on top and cover with substrate? I will just drill a hole in the side for the probe

I have been taking my time setting up the new enclosure and i have not been happy with it so i feel this will be the best overall set up for our cold winters. The 40W spot lamp does not reach over 30Deg on top of his hide and 28Deg inside so i will run that during the day and ground heat through the night.

TIA.

I find 5W and 7W film style heatpads sandwiched between ceramic floor tiles works a treat.
I just use cloth tape to tape the top tile/s to the bottom tile/s , never had an issue with a reptile getting stuck.

I find 5W and 7W film style heatpads sandwiched between ceramic floor tiles works a treat.
I just use cloth tape to tape the top tile/s to the bottom tile/s , never had an issue with a reptile getting stuck.
That might be the way to go. Using a 15w heat cord and its just not quite getting there. Its only a couple of degrees off atm.

Hi Derek it’s important to note that the wattage for cords is the same, per metre roughly, for example your 15w 2m will produce the same heat as my 100w 10m cord - longer cord = needs more power

I can’t imagine a 15w cord not getting hot enough, and you should maybe space it a little closer maybe 2cm apart as the cord itself is hot and doesn’t radiate heat

Also with your thermostat make sure it’s set to dimming as you want the cord to stay a consistent temperature

Ps; how much did u buy the 2nd stat for! They seem to have skyrocketed

Last edited:
Nutty forgot to mention that his experience in keeping reptiles is that he only keeps a few lizards not snakes so if you plan on sandwiching the cord between two tiles it's not advisable to use cloth tape or any type of tape for that matter in a snake cage whether to bind two tiles together or for anything else. If you've ever try and separate tape from a snake you'd know why. Best practice is to use an adhesive such as silicon to glue them together.

Nutty forgot to mention that his experience in keeping reptiles is that he only keeps a few lizards not snakes so if you plan on sandwiching the cord between two tiles it's not advisable to use cloth tape or any type of tape for that matter in a snake cage whether to bind two tiles together or for anything else. If you've ever try and separate tape from a snake you'd know why. Best practice is to use an adhesive such as silicon to glue them together.

So use silastic to glue the whole thing together and to fill the spaces around the edges or get the whole thing encapsulated in a shrink-wrap plastic bag.

That might be the way to go. Using a 15w heat cord and its just not quite getting there. Its only a couple of degrees off atm.
So use silastic to glue the whole thing together and to fill the spaces around the edges or get the whole thing encapsulated in a shrink-wrap plastic bag.
Thank you! :)
[doublepost=1584569117,1584569054][/doublepost]
Thank you for the reply. I will use silicon:)
[doublepost=1584569723][/doublepost]
Hi Derek it’s important to note that the wattage for cords is the same, per metre roughly, for example your 15w 2m will produce the same heat as my 100w 10m cord - longer cord = needs more power

I can’t imagine a 15w cord not getting hot enough, and you should maybe space it a little closer maybe 2cm apart as the cord itself is hot and doesn’t radiate heat

Also with your thermostat make sure it’s set to dimming as you want the cord to stay a consistent temperature

Ps; how much did u buy the 2nd stat for! They seem to have skyrocketed
Hey Buddy,

I have managed to get it to the right temp. Its not perfect as the center is 1.5 deg hotter and one corner is 25deg but its not to bad overall. I just need to figure how to run the spot bulb for the air temp as it can get very cold here. The enclousure is Melamine so its going to be alot better than the large glass one my wife has.
The new Microclimate Evo Lite cost me $250 with over night shipping from Pet care Pharmacy online.
I have it set to dimming:)

Latest posts

Back