Cool stories of snakey strength

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alichamp

Reaction score
I saw our python doing this tonight, she was so happy about dinner and willing to work hard for it!

I know this is usual for pythons especially arboreal ones, but it was still very cool to see this feat of strength in our stimmie, a species described as terrestrial. Someone told me that stimmies like to sit at the entrance to caves and grab bats for dinner on their way in/out. Anyone else heard this?

Share your cool stories of scaly strength!

PART_1585050584536.jpg

I thought this was my picture at first haha first thing I saw after waking up at 2am

This was First time feeding him a rabbit, by far and away his largest meal, had 0 hope of him getting, alas 10 minutes later it was gone

I saw our python doing this tonight, she was so happy about dinner and willing to work hard for it!

I know this is usual for pythons especially arboreal ones, but it was still very cool to see this feat of strength in our stimmie, a species described as terrestrial. Someone told me that stimmies like to sit at the entrance to caves and grab bats for dinner on their way in/out. Anyone else heard this?

Share your cool stories of scaly strength!

View attachment 328790

It's not unusual for species of pythons to ambush and consume prey in this manner even those described as terrestrial species such as Woma Pythons have been recorded using arboreal ambush methods like this to catch and then consume prey.

Spotted Pythons (A maculosa) are known to inhabit the Chillagoe-Mungana Cave System in Qld where they have been observed catching and consuming insectivorous bats as they exit the cave during the late evening and night. They actually use their tail to anchor themselves to the rock face and use their heat senses to then locate and catch the bats in mid air as they fly out of the entrance and there has been records of them actually catching and holding onto several bats one after before eating them while hanging from the rock face.

There's also plenty of photos around of other species of Australian Pythons eating crocs and wallabies.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back