What size heat mat should I be looking at for a 4ft Vivarium?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningfyra

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Im starting to set up my woma's adult enclosure as I know they grow like weeds. I currently have the click clack set up with a 10 watt heat mat covering a third of the bottem but what size should I be aiming for with my 1.2 meter by 60cm enclosure? 20 watt seems a common size with heat mats in the 40cm by 30cm range. Do you think that will likely suffice with creating a large enough gradient in an enclosure that large?

here's a pic of the little dude
RxRBK5i (2).jpg

My maths maybe wrong here but, you will be better off with a “8.64m” (probably 8 or 9m) heat cord spaced 2.5cm apart, will give you exactly a 3rd coverage, then covered with a tile or a 10mm thick piece of wooden board, and then covered by a light substrate :)

Obviously you need a thermostat if you don’t have one

Heat mats aren’t really “safe” for wooden enclosures”

Heat mats aren’t really “safe” for wooden enclosures”

I might still look at heat cord options but I was able to get one of the Reptile one melamine enclosures at staff discount as I work at a petstore and it is one of the models with a glass bottom on one side so you have the option to run a heat mat safely. From my reading woma's seem to love the belly heat more so I thought going for the heat mat option might be better as it will save me running as many cables into the enclosure.

Hi burningfyra
I use a 7 metre , 50 w heat cord spaced 3cm apart, to heat a well insulated wooden enclosure with a glass floor, measuring 900 x 550 x 450mm. I live in an area that gets down to -8 or -10 overnight in winter and run it through a dimmer switch and can get correct temps all year round. Though a thermostat would probably be better, it works perfectly. Hope that was of some use to you. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back