Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebiimams

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I recently bought two unrelated groups of Egernia striolata and combined them in a large terrarium in the hopes of getting some unrelated pairings in a larger family group of five. All went well for the first few weeks, after some initial bickering, but recently one of the smaller skinks has been clearly rejected. I’ve separated it into its own terrarium, but I’m not sure where to go from there.

It’s probably not healthy for a social skink to be on its own, so I’m wondering what the best strategy would be. Could I get and introduce another single juvenile, assuming I could find one, or should I try to move the guy on?

The EHP restriction on movement within six months is in the back of my mind too. Any thoughts?

I’ve been told for some other “social” skinks you can completely redo their enclosure, complete clean out, change the furniture around etc etc

Like a reset button

Then add the rejected one in first for a little bit then start adding the others back

I’ve been told for some other “social” skinks you can completely redo their enclosure, complete clean out, change the furniture around etc etc

Like a reset button

Then add the rejected one in first for a little bit then start adding the others back

I’ve reset the tank twice, but I haven’t had any luck. The same little guy keeps getting rejected. I might keep my eye out for a lonely tree skink. I don’t like my chances, they don’t seem to come up often.

Thanks for the help.

Generally once a skink has been ousted from the group there's little to no chance of the outcast being accepted again. Don't worry about it feeling "lonely". Social skinks do just fine when living on their own, I've seen it a few times in the wild and they get along well enough. There was this large old King's Skink (Egernia kingii) that lived under the step at my friend's university. It's healthy and has been living on its own for many years now.

Your skink will be happier living a solitary life, rather than being constantly harassed and possibly killed by its fellow cage mates.

Latest posts

Back