Ackie behaviour question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilithLeChat

Reaction score
My male ackie has gotten into a habit of climbing up my arm to my armpit, and then trying to scratch and nuzzle into it (and it bloody tickles!!!).
Today he decided to scratch and nuzzle my forearm, and unless he decided he doesn’t like my tattoo, I can’t figure out why.
Any ideas why he would scratch and nuzzle like this?

possibly trying to brumate? would be the time for it
They’ve got a separate, cool area in their enclosure, but they only go there to poop.
There are rocks and a log in there and I’ve seen them go in there and dig under, but they always return to the warm area.
Should I shorten the heating period in the warm area to force them into brumating, or let them choose if they want to go into the cool area?

This is their enclosure.
Temperature under the heat lamp is around 50 degrees, in the dark area accessible by a open doorway the temperature is around 23 degrees.
full

Last edited:
Hey lilith, only thing I would add to a nice set is more substrate, I had my guys in around the same depth (shown in your pic) once I added about 200-300mm of substrate it was a game changer for me.. to stop the soil/sand etc from collapsing on them when they burrowed i placed rocks in random spots and glued them together in stacks (again to prevent falls) also added hollow logs.. now they dig like crazy (make a huge mess [emoji35]) and they seem to really enjoy the tunnels they have made.. so maybe its a digging type response they are chasing (I won't add pics of my enclosures as it will be picked to pieces by keyboard warriors) happy herping tho [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

@Murph_BTK , They both love to dig, that’s why I can’t keep the glass clean lol
This was their baby enclosure and they’re outgrowing it, they shot up in size the last 3 months or so.
I’ve got a couple of enclosures that will be joined up for lots of floor space and temp gradients, and will have at least 40cm depth of substrate. It’s just a matter of time to finish them.
I’m considering reusing this enclosure for water dragons as it has a pump and water feature.

Your enclosure sounds nice, what substrate are you using? Mine is sand mixed with peat, so it holds moisture and shape.

@Murph_BTK , They both love to dig, that’s why I can’t keep the glass clean lol
This was their baby enclosure and they’re outgrowing it, they shot up in size the last 3 months or so.
I’ve got a couple of enclosures that will be joined up for lots of floor space and temp gradients, and will have at least 40cm depth of substrate. It’s just a matter of time to finish them.
I’m considering reusing this enclosure for water dragons as it has a pump and water feature.

Your enclosure sounds nice, what substrate are you using? Mine is sand mixed with peat, so it holds moisture and shape.
Mine is a mixture of sand course and fine, bark, leaves, coco fibre, small sticks branches etc..pretty much any and every thing.. if I take from the wild I will boil or steam the product. Happy herping [emoji1656]

Mine is a mixture of sand course and fine, bark, leaves, coco fibre, small sticks branches etc..pretty much any and every thing.. if I take from the wild I will boil or steam the product. Happy herping [emoji1656]

You're welcome, all the best with your family member [emoji6]

Latest posts

Back