What makes a better pet BHP or albino Darwin?? Need advise

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwayne84

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Not sure which to get black head python or Darwin albino.. would love some points on which would suit a family life style

Got both! And we love both of them! Haha

But found it’s the individual snake itself.. as we have two albinos ones snappy cage defensive and the other is placid as!
Same as our bhp.

I'm thinking a bhp...
One of my first snakes was a BHP, the're a pretty cool snake, however as hatchlings they can be pretty crazy (mock strikes and hissing) they also get big and strong.
Other than that the're an awesome snake to own :)

There are good and bad in all. I have BHP's that are as placid as can be and a Diamond that will take your face off if there might be a meal involved in it.
Best option is to get what you like not what other suggest.

Thanks for the advice.. is it better to get a baby or juv or adult ..
If your getting a bhp then you should probably start with a juv, thats what I started with. And if your new to keeping snakes you don't want to go straight into something massive. ;)

I've had both, they're great snakes when handled regularly. I find BHPs are pretty dramatic about air-striking and butting but maybe I just get the drama queens.

Part of it'll be tank aesthetic. Carpets are semi-aboreal and BHPs are terrestrial. So do you want a tall tank or a long one?

Black head or white head? That's the choice.
Not if you get one of these :p.

submisc-01aug-albinoblackheadedpython-UK-Pythons-lg02.jpg

BHPs would be my preferance but Albino Darwins are awesome animals. All snakes have a tendancy to be snappy ive had Darwins that wanna bite my face off ive had darwins that are puppy dogs the same thing with BHPS but a word of warning with BHPS they are a little low on the Brains scale so get ready for some weird crap lol

How does any snake 'suit a family lifestyle'?

They both need to be fed about as often, they don't take up radically different amounts of space etc. What qualities are you wanting? Are you asking which is least likely to bite or something else?

How does any snake 'suit a family lifestyle'?
Well it's simple... there's 6 key points : -

1. It must demonstrate appreciation and affection towards the family.
2. It must show a strong commitment to all family members.
3. It must enjoy spending quality enjoyable time with the family.
4. It must be able to manage stress and crisis effectively.
5. It must have a strong sense of spiritual well-being.
6. It must possess effective and positive communication patterns.

Ergo the perfect snake for the family lifestyle.

Latest posts

Back