Spotted tree monitor behaviour and temperament question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twist

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Alright wanting to get a smaller monitor for a while and came across the spotted tree monitor its a pretty cool monitor and its arboreal so that's a win but now i am wondering its behaviour and temperament cause i want a monitor i can handle and chill with so if you know anything about there behaviour it would be very cool thanks

If you want a lizard you can handle and chill with I definitely wouldn't choose a small monitor, and if you really must get a small monitor and handle it, definitely don't go for a scalaris. You really can't go past a Beardy or Bluey if you want a lizard to handle and you don't want anything larger. Monitors are absolutely fabulous animals, I miss keeping them and I'll keep them again in the future, they're definitely the lizards I'm most excited to get back into, but handling isn't really what they're good for. If you must handle a small monitor, perhaps consider tristis or acanthurus, or perhaps even gilleni.

If you want a lizard you can handle and chill with I definitely wouldn't choose a small monitor, and if you really must get a small monitor and handle it, definitely don't go for a scalaris. You really can't go past a Beardy or Bluey if you want a lizard to handle and you don't want anything larger. Monitors are absolutely fabulous animals, I miss keeping them and I'll keep them again in the future, they're definitely the lizards I'm most excited to get back into, but handling isn't really what they're good for. If you must handle a small monitor, perhaps consider tristis or acanthurus, or perhaps even gilleni.
Ok thanks for the response i will probably reconsider after that the tristis are also pretty cool

Ok thanks for the response i will probably reconsider after that the tristis are also pretty cool

Definitely a good choice :) I have known a few people to have relatively handleable tristis, I wouldn't say they're ever good to just sit and chill with, they're pretty active and want to run around, but you can train them to be comfortable being picked up and held. Ignoring handling, they're definitely an absolutely brilliant monitor to keep.

Scalaris aren't that bad but generally speaking, I'd agree an ackie or gilleni would be a better option to handling if it's a must factor in your choice. Scalaris if given enough hollows, become confident and are a very rewarding species to keep. Nearly every one that I've raised from hatchling will come out to feed from my hand. This complex is my favorite group to keep.

Scalaris aren't that bad but generally speaking, I'd agree an ackie or gilleni would be a better option to handling if it's a must factor in your choice. Scalaris if given enough hollows, become confident and are a very rewarding species to keep. Nearly every one that I've raised from hatchling will come out to feed from my hand. This complex is my favorite group to keep.

Are you breeding any this year?
I am looking for a hatchling or juvenile.

Latest posts

Back