Carpet Python advice, help, enclosure etc

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S0905523

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a total noob to snakes, and recently got my Cat B license, and a South West Carpet Python.

I want to make sure i look after him correctly, and give him the best life possible.
There are a few questions I have, as finding information on specifics can be a little difficult

The snake is a baby, only 3 months old it hatched on 10th Jan 2020, the sex is unknown.
Currently in a small click clack, however I have purchased a large enclosure for when it is bigger, it is a reptile one enclosure, which measures
120cm wide, 120cm height and 60cm deep. My understanding is this will allow enough room for it to move around and climb, and possibly to allow room for another snake down the track?

This also leads to my first question, the reptile one enclosures do not have any kind of topper on the enclosure, it is only a wire mesh. In my mind, heat rises, so how do people maintain 30+ degrees in the hot side of the enclosure for their snakes?

The enclosure came with a 150 Watt Infared red heat globe, which is what I have been using. I've also been running this 24-7 as I have read mixed reviews, some say you should not use a infared bulb at all, or should not use it at night, etc etc.

My main concern is the heat, and how to maintain the heat, with such a huge mesh topping on the enclosure for all the heat to escape. Ontop of that, what kind of lighting everyone uses, and for what hours of the day, and if infared lights are or are not good for snakes, particularly the carpets.

Last question, I've been told to only feed it once a week, is it harmful to feed them more?
What is the best way to defrost the mice/rats etc before feeding.

Thank you everyone

I would forget about the heat globe and get some heat cord or a heat mat for underneath the floor of the enclosure . You could always make a more appropriate lid if you like .

Get a heat mat mate and a thermostat to control temp. And most definitely water bowl.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Is a heat mat really better than the globe option? From what I've read SWCP seem to like to be up high and climb alot? I didnt think they would want to be on the ground on the mat?

I have a pretty large water bowl :)

Is a heat mat really better than the globe option? From what I've read SWCP seem to like to be up high and climb alot? I didnt think they would want to be on the ground on the mat?

I have a pretty large water bowl :)
You can always use a ceramic bulb, Which only provides heat and no light.. i think its personal preference man, plenty of debates on here about whats better maybe have a read through some of them.

As you said, hot air rises, so most of the heat from a globe is wasted , particularly with a mesh lid. Heating from underneath is much more efficient and much cheaper to run than a globe. A heat mat or heat cord would outlast any globe by a long shot.
[doublepost=1588763248,1588763029][/doublepost]Ceramic heat bulbs are not worth the effort for the same reason.
You can always use a ceramic bulb, Which only provides heat and no light.. i think its personal preference man, plenty of debates on here about whats better maybe have a read through some of them.

I have the exact same viv and ended up cutting a couple of pieces of melamine to size and blocked off the mesh top to keep the heat in. Worked a treat

Latest posts

Back