EWDragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minkov

Reaction score
Hi,
I need some advice. I have 2 juvenile female EWDS and I'm receiving some conflicting advice. Should I allow my EWDs to Brumate this winter? Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? At the moment they are in a large glass tank with a heating pad plus UVA/UVB lighting. The tank is in a bright sunny room.

thanks,
Minkov

I dont have much experience:oops: but i would think that their is not much that you could and should do but here are a few of my suggestions----yes let them brumate to get that question out of the way----

Brumation Tip #1: Get Them a Hide

Brumation Tip #2: Take Them to the Vet this is dobatable but i would try to get them to the vet if possible

Brumation Tip #3: Dial Down the Daylight HELPS YOUR BILLS AND IS GOOD FOR YOUR WATER DRAGON
dial down the daylight mean only letting your dragon have like 8 hours of light to mimic the natural inviroment

these are a few of my tips make sure to stay tuned for other people as they may know more then me.... best wishes from @reptileandsodaz

I dont have much experience:oops: but i would think that their is not much that you could and should do but here are a few of my suggestions----yes let them brumate to get that question out of the way----

Brumation Tip #1: Get Them a Hide

Brumation Tip #2: Take Them to the Vet this is dobatable but i would try to get them to the vet if possible

Brumation Tip #3: Dial Down the Daylight HELPS YOUR BILLS AND IS GOOD FOR YOUR WATER DRAGON
dial down the daylight mean only letting your dragon have like 8 hours of light to mimic the natural inviroment

these are a few of my tips make sure to stay tuned for other people as they may know more then me.... best wishes from @reptileandsodaz

Thank you so much for relying. So pleased to receive your advice. What a wonderful site!!!
Minkov

I know reptileandsodaz is only trying to help but as she said she doesn't have much experience and for the welfare of your juvenile water dragons I suggest you disregard her advice.

I've kept and bred Eastern Water Dragons on and off over many, many years and can tell you first hand that it is not advisable to let them brumate during their first winter in captivity, especially if they are being kept in a glass tank with only floor heating. You will run the real risk of them suffering a respiratory infection if you choose to do so.

If their enclosure is set up correctly with sufficient heating and UVA/UVB and provided a healthy diet there should never be a reason to take them to a vet.

EWD's love to bask and the best thing you could do, if you haven't already, is to set up an overhead heat source (connected to a thermostat) that provides a basking area temperature of around 35 - 40 deg C and a cool area around 22 - 24 deg C to allow them to thermoregulate. If they are to be maintained in a glass tank it is also advisable to make sure that heat cannot escape through the top of the enclosure. Heat lamps and UVA/B can be left on for 12 hours. You can provide them with the option of a hide over the heat pad for them to sleep but they also like to sleep up high on branches.

I know reptileandsodaz is only trying to help but as she said she doesn't have much experience and for the welfare of your juvenile water dragons I suggest you disregard her advice.

I've kept and bred Eastern Water Dragons on and off over many, many years and can tell you first hand that it is not advisable to let them brumate during their first winter in captivity, especially if they are being kept in a glass tank with only floor heating. You will run the real risk of them suffering a respiratory infection if you choose to do so.

If their enclosure is set up correctly with sufficient heating and UVA/UVB and provided a healthy diet there should never be a reason to take them to a vet.

EWD's love to bask and the best thing you could do, if you haven't already, is to set up an overhead heat source (connected to a thermostat) that provides a basking area temperature of around 35 - 40 deg C and a cool area around 22 - 24 deg C to allow them to thermoregulate. If they are to be maintained in a glass tank it is also advisable to make sure that heat cannot escape through the top of the enclosure. Heat lamps and UVA/B can be left on for 12 hours. You can provide them with the option of a hide over the heat pad for them to sleep but they also like to sleep up high on branches.

Thank you for your help. It seems that you indeed have experience. My ‘girls’ have all that you suggest in terms of heating. They will be moved to a walk-in outdoor enclosure next year.
Many thanks!!!

Can you please stop posting in every topic. Would be much appreciated
He/She is a reptile expert from the small amount of research and 0 hands on experience!

NAcqR6q.png
i've told them to stop posting on posts, as their advice will usually lead to more issues but alas.. research overeverything else /s

@reptileandsodaz for what possible reason would they need to go to the vets? literally 0 reason, unless OP wants to spend $100~ on a random quote for completely unneeded advice

there is very few vets who are well trained in reptiles, even fewer who wont milk you for money

Last edited:
He/She is a reptile expert from the small amount of research and 0 hands on experience!

NAcqR6q.png
i've told them to stop posting on posts, as their advice will usually lead to more issues but alas.. research overeverything else /s

@reptileandsodaz for what possible reason would they need to go to the vets? literally 0 reason, unless OP wants to spend $100~ on a random quote for completely unneeded advice

there is very few vets who are well trained in reptiles, even fewer who wont milk you for money
U dont need to own a reptile to know all that you can LEARN! i do not think that you should be saying i have no hands on experience as i have a close friend who has a dragon and told me all their is to know ---im sorry if my advice was wrong but i tried my best and wanted to help somone out because i wouldnt bear the stress of not knowing what to do wit an animal!
[doublepost=1589874804,1589874256][/doublepost]oh also with the vet tip that is to make sure that your animal is healthy enough to brumate lets say your water dragon is underweight then it will lose even more weight and lord knows what would happen next.

Latest posts

Back