Feeding Stimson python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanda

Reaction score
Hey guys

I was just wondering as I am new to snakes I just brought a Stimson from pet city he/she is about 1 year old at about 50-60cm all they had been feeding her is 1 pinky mice a week and I was just wondering when is it a good time to step up start feeding her more or bigger mice

thanks

I would be stepping her up. Without being able to see the snake I can just give you the generic advice of looking for a mouse size that is roughly the width of the snake's body.
If you want to go further, you could weigh the snake then find a mouse that is.... between 10-20% of the weight? It escapes me this very moment what ratio is recommended.

Either way, I often read people say something along the lines of "But the mouse looks too big, the snake cannot eat it." - It will (unless you get something ridiculously huge).

Also, I might get scorn or I might not; but if I were you I would also consider freezing up some chicken necks just in case the rodent supply gets tricky going forward. There is meat and bone in there, and a good discussion about chicken vs whole prey items in a thread on here not that long ago (maybe a month or two ago).

Edit: I only added that last little cautionary bit as I have run into someone now with food supply issues. They live in a regional area, and the local pet shop shutdown. They then asked me if I could drive the 500km to supply them with a bulk load of my own rat stock. I was prepping for it when the regional borders closed (Western Australia has been sub-divided now, with travel bans) so they are actually kind of stuck now.

Either way, I often read people say something along the lines of "But the mouse looks too big, the snake cannot eat it." - It will (unless you get something ridiculously huge).

This.

And if you're worried about it, you can try him on 2 of the smaller ones first. If he eats the two, then probably time to step it up to the bigger size. If he only eats the one, then he's eating enough.

Thanks guys yeah I just feed her and she took two so I think I’m going to go the next size up cheers

Thanks guys yeah I just feed her and she took two so I think I’m going to go the next size up cheers

Rule of thumb, pick food a little larger that the size of his tummy. Snakes can stretch their skin up to 15 times larger to accommodate food so don't be scarred, given he is young stick to the rule of food a little larger than his tummy and you can't go wrong, it needs to leave a small bump in his tummy or he won't grow properly.

Latest posts

Back