Can't decide what snake to get

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laikin

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone just wandering what your opinions are on a good "beginner" snake. i've been looking at diamonds and spotted pythons but not really sure for i want a snake that gets to a good size but is still manageable.
so please put your opinions in the comments and any good links to info on the specific snake.

If you have a look through this forum you will find a few threads addressing this question. Most will recommend you start with something like a children's python, stimson's python, or spotted python, or if you want something that will grow a little larger, one of the carpet python group. The diamond python is a member of that group, but it's probably the exception. They have slightly different needs (esp temp) and might not be as appropriate. But there are plenty of other carpet options - coastal, Darwin, jungle, Murray-Darling or South-Western... all of which are relatively easy to keep.

However, ultimately it's down to your preferences.

Hi everyone just wandering what your opinions are on a good "beginner" snake. i've been looking at diamonds and spotted pythons but not really sure for i want a snake that gets to a good size but is still manageable.
so please put your opinions in the comments and any good links to info on the specific snake.

Spotteds are an excellent choice, as are Stimson's and Children's Pythons. All very similar but with different colours and patterns.

If you want something as big as a Diamond, get a different type of Carpet Python. Diamonds generally die at a young age, they're very difficult to keep alive and healthy long term, even most highly experienced keepers have this problem. Literally all other types of Carpets are significantly hardier.

I can tell you my favourite snakes, everyone here can, but it comes down to choosing the one you like most, not what I or anyone else like most. Why are you wanting to keep snakes? What appeals to you about them? What features do you want in a snake?

Most people will just tell you that they have had a xxx python for 6-12 months and it's the best thing in the world and recommend you to get the same thing, but it's better to listen to people who have experience with a wide range of species and can advise you on something which actually suits you :)

Do your own research, think about the eventual size of the animal in regards to enclosure size and feeding.

Great choice :) Spotteds are lovely snakes, and if you find you want something larger or different, a Spotted Python barely takes up any space and you can get a second (and third, fourth, fifth....) and what you've learned from your Spotted will help you along the way :)

Great choice :) Spotteds are lovely snakes, and if you find you want something larger or different, a Spotted Python barely takes up any space and you can get a second (and third, fourth, fifth....) and what you've learned from your Spotted will help you along the way :)

Thanks so much!

Hey everyone, does anyone have any recommendations for a good "Beginner" snake. i was thinking about a spotted python but i kinda want a more "Interesting" snake that gets to a decent size, but not to big for i don't want buy a massive enclosure, i live in NSW

Cheers
laikin

"Interesting"? I guess it depends on your definition. If you haven't yet - check out Woma's. Get to a decent size without being over big for beginners to handle. Have a different type of personality. (Some would say dopey ;-) ) Good food response, but most reports are that they're good to handle when out of the cage / out of feeding mode. Not sure if it's your type of snake or not - just one to check out.

I was thinking about something like a Jungle (though not sure how hard they are to keep) that reaches like 1.8m to 2.5m, something that can get around that size

Do you have any recommended Pythons? Preferably one that gets to a size of like 2m roughly that doesn't need a huge enclosure and uses a heat mat and doesn't. need lighting.

Hi Laikin
Not all jungles are bity. But if you want a morelia maybe an inland , Bredli or albino darwin. I have a young Bredli and 2 coastal x diamond adults and there all a pleasure to own. Good luck.

Ya, i was thinking Darwin because of its medium ish size but still not sure, been on a rollercoaster of different snake decisions, any advice would be welcome

Most morelia grow to around 2 metres, sometimes bigger . like most pythons they are mainly nocturnal and often spend days or even weeks hidden away so not the most active of pets, however they are low maintanance and easy to care for as long as all their basic needs are catered for.

When it comes to carpet, it’s pretty much pick the one you like the look of, they all have vastly different patterning, but similar temperament(minus the jungles)

As stated, most of the carpets can reach 2m, some can reach 3~ Like the coastal carpet or centralian carpet

Hey everyone, iv'e recently decided on not getting a spotted python for i want something a little bigger and have been looking at the Darwin and central. though i'm not to sure, i want a snake that doesn't need a huge enclosure or a uvb/uv light but still gets to a good size like 1.8m or 2.4m something around there, i live in NSW

Cheers
Laikin

No carpet pythons needs uv lighting, they get everything from their food

1.8-2.4m is very specific... and doesn’t help at all

You can keep carpet pythons in 4ftx2ftx2ft enclosures

Latest posts

Back