Can't decide what snake to get

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cause of sizing, don't want something that gets like really big

You started a thread called “Can't decide what snake to get” yesterday at 10:01 am. Why have you started this thread today on the same topic? With two threads on the same topic people can end up wasting their time posting what has already been said on the other thread.

A new thread will not make you more likely to get responses. Just post additional or refined questions in the existing thread. When you or someone else posts in any thread, it will go to the top of the list in the Shoutbox at top of the Home/ Forums page, as well as into the New Posts in the [right-hand] side panel on that page, third box down.

You started a thread called “Can't decide what snake to get” yesterday at 10:01 am. Why have you started this thread today on the same topic? With two threads on the same topic people can end up wasting their time posting what has already been said on the other thread.

A new thread will not make you more likely to get responses. Just post additional or refined questions in the existing thread. When you or someone else posts in any thread, it will go to the top of the list in the Shoutbox at top of the Home/ Forums page, as well as into the New Posts in the [right-hand] side panel on that page, third box down.

Threads have been merged.

That’s a judgement that may or may not be correct. Either way, it is not really an appropriate response to an apology.

OK, Laikin, descriptive words such as big, large, huge, and the like, are relative terms that each individual interprets differently. You were given a set of dimensions for an enclosure, that being 4 x 2 x 2 feet. Please get a tape measure out and tell us if those dimensions are too big. If they are, please provide the maximum alternative dimensions that would be acceptable to you. Without these hard figures we are left trying to read your mind, and that just does not work. With them we can make realistic suggestions to help you.

Thanks for still wanting to help, i'm planning on making an enclosure out of an old cupboard the dimensions of the cupboard is 100cm long 54cm deep and 100cm high, once again i'm sorry for the spam.
[doublepost=1592559095,1592559026][/doublepost]i can delete the other posts if you would like

do bredli pythons need a heat lamp or can a heat mat be used instead?

Thanks for still wanting to help, i'm planning on making an enclosure out of an old cupboard the dimensions of the cupboard is 100cm long 54cm deep and 100cm high, once again i'm sorry for the spam.
[doublepost=1592559095,1592559026][/doublepost]i can delete the other posts if you would like
I think those dimensions are a little on the small side for a carpet python, although some people may disagree. I would be going 120-150cm long at least for a long term enclosure.
Sub-adult that cupboard might be an OK size. Just my opinion.

Ya i was thinking that too, how long do you reckon i could keep a carpet in an enclosure like that? cause i was planning on getting a baby python and keeping it in a tub for awhile then moving on to a bigger enclosure that i would make. i was thinking about getting either a Darwin or bredli, was leaning towards a bredli but now that i see my dimensions a little clearer im thinking of a darwin.

May just buy an enclosure rather make one.

Ya i was thinking that too, how long do you reckon i could keep a carpet in an enclosure like that? cause i was planning on getting a baby python and keeping it in a tub for awhile then moving on to a bigger enclosure that i would make. i was thinking about getting either a Darwin or bredli, was leaning towards a bredli but now that i see my dimensions a little clearer im thinking of a darwin.

May just buy an enclosure rather make one.
120x60x60 can be used for adult bredli comfortably.

I think you're really overthinking this, aslong as they can move around, have a hot spot, and a spot to cool down, + hide + water = good snake enclosure 120x60x60 is the more popular enclosure size in the hobby

no harm in buying an enclosure, just make sure you arent buying from a pet shop, but rather a custom enclosure builder (or buy 2nd hand), just it will cost quite a bit more than making it your own, but not as much as buying a ** glass enclosure from a pet shop

Thanks for the advice, i just have two questions, could i use a heat mat instead for pythons? and i was also thinking of making and outside enclosure that it would go in during nice hot days (but not at night and not all the time) is that okay?

Thanks for the advice, i just have two questions, could i use a heat mat instead for pythons? and i was also thinking of making and outside enclosure that it would go in during nice hot days (but not at night and not all the time) is that okay?

yes a heat mat/heat cord is ok for pythons... you dont need over head heating, its a personal preference, between the 2

aslong as its controlled via a thermostat either is fine, but i dont recommend both at once, and only heating 1/3rd of the enclosure max

I cant comment on the outdoor enclosure, but its quite difficult to set up, not something i could recommend for a beginner. Needs to not be in a draft area, needs good sunlight, Needs good shade, Need to not cook your snake by having sunlight on the heating area. if you dont know what you're doing, you will make your snake sick

I recommend buying a book... specifically "keeping and breeding australian pythons" by mike swan - https://www.thereallygoodbookshop.c...an-Pythons-Second-Edition-Edited-by-Mike-Swan

remember these words with reptile keeping." KISS - keep it simple stupid

Last edited:
Thanks, ya the outside enclosure thing was just an idea didnt really think about all the technical stuff, thanks for the wise words at the end.

Good stuff. That’s just what we need thanks.
The minimum cage requirements for NSW would allow you to keep an individual arboreal python up to just over two and a half metres in length. Bearing in mind these are the absolute minimum permissible cage dimensions and not the desirable dimensions, what is a more realistic maximum size suited your dimensions? IMO is a python than is not going to exceed two metres when it is fully grown. For a terrestrial python, only the Woma is allowable.

So what should be eliminated from the list of medium sized pythons? Coastal and Murray-Darling Carpets can get too big. Green Tree Pythons and Diamond Pythons are not suitable species for beginners. Jungle Carpets can be difficult. BHP’s may get too big and are not really a beginner’s snake.

IMO the list of potential species to choose from is…
· Morelia bredli
· Morelia carinata
· Morelia spilota imbricata
· Morelia spilota variegata
· Aspidites ramsayi

If you were to choose a Woma, putting in a shelf to provide two linked levels would be the way to go to make best use of the space available. The snake would doubtless appreciate it as Womas do like to cruise their enclosure at night, and the more they have to investigate the better.

Forget the idea of an outside enclosure.

The cheapest way to heat a python enclosure is also the most appropriate – using a heat cord. The following reference explains one effective way to do that: https://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/threads/newbie-preparing-enclosure.224144/#post-2523840

I wouldnt say forget the outdoor enclosure. As stated previously , if set up properly it can be handy to have for somewere to put them while cleaning enclosures , and it also provides an opertunity to explore new surroundings and get some natural uv at the same time. I have a small modifyed aviary out back i use during warmer months.

Latest posts

Back