Hungry Young BHP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pythonguy1

Reaction score
Hi all, I've recently got my healthy 18month old BHP onto sub-adult rats and he's now due his next feed... AGAIN.... anyway, I don't have any sub-adults in stock, just the one left-over weanling (which is just next size down) Should I just feed him that? Or wait until Mum can get me to the pet shop to get more sub-adults?
Not sure when that will be - she's a busy mum :eek:

They never get the same size prey in the wild mate

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Great Thanks for your response... My concern is that he could give me a 'feed response' type bite if he doens't get the correct size meal, as this has happened in the past :/

Great Thanks for your response... My concern is that he could give me a 'feed response' type bite if he doens't get the correct size meal, as this has happened in the past :/

Isn't a feed response what you want when you feed him?

You need to learn how to handle a snake and understand its behaviour. Just keeping it constantly sated is neither practical nor healthy for the snake.

Thanks Kate91 ;)

BTW Sdaj did you mean starved not sated???? If so, I've never starved a snake nor been given the chance to since my mother claims to be the RSPCA when it comes to pet-care round this place :rolleyes:

I'd also be finding a local rodent breeder, as you are probably paying an arm and leg for rats of smaller sizes
[doublepost=1593250555,1593250415][/doublepost]As for your questions, nothing wrong with feeding him whatever you have at the moment! a little variety never hurts

Thanks Kate91 ;)

BTW Sdaj did you mean starved not sated???? If so, I've never starved a snake nor been given the chance to since my mother claims to be the RSPCA when it comes to pet-care round this place :rolleyes:

No, I said sated because I meant sated.

Ok Sdaji, Thanks for letting me know.

What's you're doing is attempting to avoid being bitten by keeping the snake sated. This is not a good strategy for you or the snake.
[doublepost=1593251205,1593251047][/doublepost]
I guess after a certain amount of time they lose the strength to?

Obviously at some point they lose the strength to be alive, but becoming snappy is not a guaranteed result of becoming hungry, even if you start with a completely healthy or even plump snake and let it run right through to being starved to death. Obviously it commonly will, but not always. Anyway, no one here suggested starving or not starving a snake, someone was just unfamiliar with the word sated, which means the opposite of starved.

Latest posts

Back