Age to acquire baby monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukecee

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am about to get a new gouldii flav but he is only a month old at the moment, I have the option to wait as long as I please before picking him up from the breeder. Is it safer to wait a while incase of any early health issues , and how long should i wait, what is the ideal age to acquire.
Cheers

IMG_0571.JPG
I am about to get a new gouldii flav but he is only a month old at the moment, I have the option to wait as long as I please before picking him up from the breeder. Is it safer to wait a while incase of any early health issues , and how long should i wait, what is the ideal age to acquire.
Cheers

Hi, no matter what age you get them it`s always possible the animal could have a health issue, it`s a risk most of us have to take. If the monitor is feeding normally, exhibits normal activity etc, it should be fine to take now (obviously providing you have a suitable enclosure and fully supportive conditions in place).
I`m only showing these photos for you to see that a hatchling can thrive in an "adult sized" enclosure from day one as I mentioned in my previous post).. He`s now 5 years old... An Asian water monitor.
View attachment 329840 100_1717 (2).JPG 100_1823.JPG View attachment 329842

Last edited:
I have baby lacies ATM but wont let them go till they are 6-8 weeks, same as my dragons
Ahk, so what is the reason behind holding them till 6-8weeks . Do you recommend me waiting until that age or is it just personal preference

Ahk, so what is the reason behind holding them till 6-8weeks . Do you recommend me waiting until that age or is it just personal preference
If it’s same as snake breeders holding them for 2-3months before thinking of selling

It’ll be because they want to sell an animal they know is thriving and successfully eating, moving, behaving properly etc

If it’s same as snake breeders holding them for 2-3months before thinking of selling

It’ll be because they want to sell an animal they know is thriving and successfully eating, moving, behaving properly etc

Ok, yeah I'm understanding as a buyer it may be safer to wait a while but its just so hard , knowing that I can go pick him up tomorrow if I like. I'm too impatient

We want to make sure that the offspring are healthy, as breeders we need to be sure that the babies are going to survive and as buyers you want the same thing. I wouldn't sell an animal unless I was sure of it's strength,.

Latest posts

Back