Snake suddenly defensive

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codie

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So my oldest python is a 2 years old stimsons python and he has recently started striking everytime I opened his tank.

I handle him at least once a week and was suprised after almost being bitten from what was previously the most docile snake.

I thought the striking could be because it's spring and breeding season but I don't know if that's a thing. If anyone can help me out itd be greatly appreciated.

I have heard of snakes being more aggressive in spring as they are hungry and looking for females. Actually, it has happened with my stimmie as well. Otherwise, what size food is he on?
Is he like this when he's outside his enclosure as well?

My Stimmy has only ever bitten due to food (smell of food/being hungry) - though he also tends to eat less than what's recommended (I offer, he refuses!) and has continued to put on weight, so I'm not so worried about that. He is happy and healthy.
Also, sometimes when they're getting ready to shed they can get a bit stroppy, but my guy doesn't seem too fussed (I tend to leave him alone though!)

I have heard of snakes being more aggressive in spring as they are hungry and looking for females. Actually, it has happened with my stimmie as well. Otherwise, what size food is he on?
Is he like this when he's outside his enclosure as well?
Hey he is on large fuzzy rats and weighs 218g and no he is great to have out of the enclosure

I heard a snake may become assertive as you dial housing into optimal conditions, after a few whiles it hits peak condition and gains confidence, but should calm down again with time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back