Enclosure for CC Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sebii

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, what's the ideal size enclosure for a Coastal Carpet Python? Where's a good cheap place to pick up an enclosure/complete setup in the Illawarra/Sydney area?

From what I've read an asked other people the way to set up an enclosure seems to be with a spot lamp for basking, a paper towel floor, a hide, and a if there's room a branch/perch. I also heard that regulating heating and humidity isn't that important, and to just add a dish of water when they are shedding. Any comments? Do they need a varying day/night cycle depending on season? DO they need to hibernate in winter?

Sorry about all the questions...I think some may be a repeat from a looooong time ago but I had to put getting a python on hold for a while until I moved to a more suitable place...

The one I have lined up is a yearling...can you put a yearling in a full size enclosure? Oh and max I'd want to spend is $5-600

The one I have for sale would be perfect. I'm not just saying that so I can sell it either.It is actually a double enclosure that a second animal can be kept and in fact the middle can be removed for one big enclosure if you want. I only want $350 for it.

Is it just the enclosure, does it have fittings for lights, thermometers etc?

Does it have good ventilation (heard it's important)? DO you have any photos?

Has there been much interest in it? What are the chances that it will be sold within the next week or two?

Regulating heating is quite important and also is humidity. Not enough will not allow the snake to shed easily and if the temperature is not warm enough then they probably won't get into the water to help themselves. A thermal gradient is what you are after so that the snake can choose its own temperature it wants. A hot end and a cold end is what you are after.

Cheers Hawkeye

Let me just say that when it comes to any housing of animals bigger is always better.But a good rule of thumb is to measure the total length of an adult snake species to be housed.1/2 its length should go into the enclosure length then 1/2 that length again can go into the height and depth of the enclosure.So if you would like to keep a 8 foot carpet python a 4x2x2 enclosure would be the way to go.
Also you will need fresh water in the enclosure constantly not just when you think it may be shedding and there should always be a gradient in temp from 1 side to the other for this we place heat source at 1 end of the enclosure creating a warmer and a cooler end so as the snake may choose its preferred temp.

Yah I know about the water lol...I meant an EXTRA dish.....

Anyway thanks for all the info everyone...

There has been a little interest in it but nothing firm. As you saw it is fully lit and has thermostats and everything needed.If you are interested and would like to leave a holding deposit or something,let me know.

Cheers, Greg.

I also heard that regulating heating and humidity isn't that important, and to just add a dish of water when they are shedding. Any comments?

Easily misunderstood when you didnt specify that it would be a spare water bowl.
The way I read it is you intended to JUST add water bowl when it is shedding.

I think the minimum size enclosure for a 8ft Carpet would have to be 4ftx2ftx4ft.

My quote for enclosure size is in regards to terristrial species.
For arboreal species id use 1/2 thier total length for the length and the height of thier enclosure.But that would be my minimum as bigger is always better a 4x4x2 would be preferred but as a minimum a 4x2x2 would be the smallest I would go.
IMO
Terrestrial 1/2 total body length of snake for length of enclosure, and 1/2 again for width and height=4x2x2 for a 8 foot snake.
Arboreal 1/2 total body length of snake for length and height of enclosure,and 1/2 again for width=4x4x2 for 8 foot snake.

The enclosure size rule. Thatz always quoted on an adult. Should I wait till my CC is fully-grown or do I just build on an average length?

Good idea is to work on maximum normal length, Ie. a CC normally maxes out at 8' (true max is 10' or something but really unusual) so a 4'x2'x2' is a good minimum size for one. If you are planning on only having one or a couple of snakes though, I'd go bigger than this, 6'x2'x2' or so. :D

Thanx. I'm hoping on only having one (can only afford the one) but already I can see how addictive they are. There are so many to choose from! Should the biggest dimension be the length or the height? Coastals are semi-aboreal aren't they? I was thinking 4-5' L/H 2-3' W. Can an enclosure be too big? I've heard some get stressed out...

Thank-you for ur help :D

Coastals are highly arboreal. Most people go 4-6'L x 2'H x 2'W. I have had some cages built for my coastals that sre 2'W x 2'L x 4'H. So far, they love them. None are full grown yet, the biggest is 6' long and 1.75kg so only about 1/2 grown. So I can't really reccomend them (yet) until I have had full grown coastals in them for a few years. I (IMO) can't see any problem in making the large axis the height, so far they love climbing up and down the branches they have in there and have a hide up near the heat source which is on the ceiling.

I want to do that too magpie. My enclosure is 1m high. I would love to see some pics because i need insperation :twisted:
:D
PS how did you attach them to the ceiling? I have heard many different ways of doing it.
Cheers, sImo

I use radiant heat panels simon. They come with velcro tape that sticks to the enclosure on the ceiling. However, I have recently had a couple of these fall off and due to the danger of tape to a herp, am trying to work out the best way to re attatch them and attatch new ones when the time comes. The hides are attatched to the side walls via 2 screws in the wall and two slotted holes in the back of the hides. To take the hides out, I just lift and remove them. The danger of the snakes doing this themselves is minimal as they would have to be on the branch below and push the hide up while pulling it away from the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back