thermostats

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frodo

Reaction score
heya all, i just got my first python, and was wondering what type of thermostat yous all use. I've noticed a big price dif in some that are available. Is the $33.00 at the herp shop any good?

thanks in advance!!!!

i use the $33 ones, they work real well though arent as accurate as the probe thermostats like the habistats etc

if money isnt an issue go with the habistats, if it is get the imits $33 ones they work just fine :)

cheers
STP

Personally use the probe thermostats and I find them to be very accurate and reliable but I have never used the other type so I cannot compare them.

I use the probe Habistat thermos too, and they have been working well for me...
One exception, I also used a 'home made' one for a while which worked ok, you can buy them in kits at JayCar, but buying a Habistat is far easier...

I use the imits. I find they work well within 1.5C wchich is fine, more than is needed really. They should last ages, I have one that I was given that is over 10 years old and still going strong. The main advantage of the habisats IMO is that they have a power point so you don't have to rewire your heat source. From a safety / insurance point of view, they'd have to win out.

I too use Habistat , they go for just under $100.

Habistat's are by far the best I have ever used.
I have used for both snakes viv's and incubating egg's, very reliable.
5 yr warranty I think to.

Neil

I have used both thermostats.
I find both to have their own merits.
The imits are perfectly fine for enclosure heating,as Mags has said they may be a slight degree off (but this can always be fixed by measuring with a thermometer and placing the stat closer or further away from the heat source as required) but for incubation a probe stat should be used to get accurate temps within the containers.

i use the $33 herp shop one with no probs but my mates left the room when i was tryin to splice it into the power supply but my self trained eltric thing course worked well (the trial and error course) two of my mates use the same and they hav'nt had a prob yet

It would depend on what type of thermostat you use, if you use one with a probe and you have two viv's the same size, with the same size heating element, then it's fine, remember to check both viv's for a day or two, just to make sure the temps in both are accurate.
Have a thermonitor in both viv's perminently to.
Also, thermostats have a wattage limit, for instance it might be 300watts, which means that is the max you can go upto with all heating elements, so you can have 3 x 100watt heating elements as an example.

I want to use it for a day and night globe in the one viv. If one's fine then I'll probably get a probe stat otherwise just a cheapie

be wary using one thermostat for more than one enclosure if using globes cause if the globe in the enclosure with the thermostat blows you have no protection over the heat buildup in the other one

Womas,
Good point to mention !

Ella, you wouldn't be able to do that unless you have two thermostats both on timers, so when one goes off the other comes on.

Unless anyone else can think of a way around it, using just one thermostat.

I buy my thermostats from an electrical store. The last one I bought was only $25 and ranges from 0 to 50

I want to use it for a day and night globe in the one viv. If one's fine then I'll probably get a probe stat otherwise just a cheapie

Very easy with a probe stat. Run a double adapter off the socket, two timers off the double adapter and one light off each timer. Set the day time one to be off when the night time one is on an vice versa. Doesn't matter if there is a bit of overlap. Timers can be bought for about $2.50 these days.

Can habistat thermostats be bought in Australia?

Yes. The Reptile barn in Sydeny sell them. Alternatively you could get one sent over from the UK and put Australian fittings on it.

Well done Magpie, I knew someone would come up with a solution for her, it's a simple inexpensive one to, why didn't I think of that.

Reptile barn have the Habistats on special at the moment!
Microclimates are another very good probe thermostat, you can even get one make to rig up to your computer! I think these will be a definate import job though.

Neil

NC, what details do you have for the computer linked heat controllers? This is what I am looking for, I need something I can set times and temps on the computer via an I/O board or the like and then just forget it so that it adjusts photo periods, temperatures etc seasonally. ^This gives you a perfectly controllled micro climate and I reckon it would be perfect for the animals and the keeper alike :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back