Pet crocodiles?!?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saikrett

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend over the weekend and we stumbbled upon the topic of crocodiles, stating how much i want one. She told me that she has a friend that lives in heathcote in sydney which supposably has one. I'm trying to get a phone numberto find out what conditions thet are holding in on.
Although i think it may be a hoax, but if anyone has heard of captive kept crocs in NSW it would be muck appreciated

I don?t know what's involved as far a licensing goes, but I?ve heard somewhere, after they grow to one meter you have to give it back, and start again, with a baby one.
But don't take my word for it.
Alexahnder loves crocs, and when he'll read that thread he will undoubtedly fill you in on all the facts.

Artie is right I think.As I understand it ,If you hold an exhibitors lic you can purchase a baby croc(salty) from a farm use it in an exhibit and grow it on until it reaches 1mtr(bit bigger for a freshy).After that you need to freight it back to the farm and they will replace it with another baby as long as you pay the freight charges both ways.
Never seen any myself but I have heard(from a reliable person) there a quite a few people in sydney that have them.

yeah there are as fangs has said. People that do reptile shows and bring snakes,turts,lizards etc. i have seen have baby crocs. And im in sydney so there is people that do have them but are mostly used for buiseness purposes and not for a private collection.

As Fangs has stated you need an exhibition/zoo licence.
I was looking into the licence and even had the application forms and requirements paperwork and I can tell you,unless you are making alot of profits from your displays to cover the costs of the licence itself as well as public liability etc it isn't worth it...

hey.. hello guys. ive heard from people who keep crocs up north that they cant be kept in NSW.. mainly because of the temps down here. they cant breed in this climate and the housing would cost so much just for the heated pool..... send them to club med i say and bring in the alligators! lol
Em

hey i have looked after crocs but only for short periods of time, and i have got a few friends who keep them, but they aint my sort of pet i don't think. i think they would be too much hassle but i could be wrong and will definately invest in a couple some time soon

"Crocodile Encounters

Colin Stevenson
0425 225 712

Mark Richmond
0422 073 501

www.crocodileencounters.com.au

Crocodile and Wildlife displays - Education and conservation

See LIVE crocodiles, snakes, lizards, turtles, birds and other native and exotic wildlife. Presented at:

shopping centres
special events
schools
promotions
daycare centres
expos
parties
film and TV

[email protected]

Call us for a Crocodile Encounter..."

From their business card. They are a Sydney based organisation.

Costs are off the top of my head as I threw away my paper work some time ago (I did post all the related costs in another thread under an old alias but they were deleted)

OK I think it was like $400 for the licence then so much ontop of that per animal.$300 or $350 application fee whether you pass or fail this is non negotiable.You must prove adequate conditions:
You will need proper housing,food,water,heat,humidity,warning signs,barriers,first aid kits,etc etc while on display and at home (both areas are specific requirements and minimals).You also must have training,employees under you,vet association and be open to the public so many days a year etc etc.
There is a whole list of other costs that have slipped my mind at the moment...

EDIT: I just realised I put $4000 instead of $400.

From what I can see, there is no minimum number of days to be opened to the public for either Permanent or Temporary establishments. In the application that people must send away for Permanent licences, it asks what times the establishment will be opened on each day, but does not specify a minimum. Temporary establishments are not subject to minimum days of operation either.

OK,I was under the impression you had to be open to the public for a certain amount of days for a permanent exhibition/zoo licence.(I have also read other states and countrys rulings so I may be mixed up here).

The cost of application etc I just through out there off the top of my head and was not that far off (give or take $100).Whether prices have dropped since I read the rules or I was merely mistaken I am unsure,but still a non refundable $200 fee to apply with no garuntee of acceptance is alot of money to risk.

Ontop of that you then have licencing cost (you say $250 OR $900)
and I can recall having to pay extra per animal (whether this was another state or countrys ruling,or it may have meant if you exceed the display limit accreddited by licence I'm not sure,I just recall reading it).

The employee bit I was refering to a permanent establishment as it requires certain workers if I remember correctly.It is also my understanding that you MUST have extensive training,vet associations etc etc as I stated...

EDIT: I fixed up my typo in the last post I made.It was meant to be $400 not $4000,but be assured that the cost of public liability would be close to that figure (I'm not positive as I couldnt find anyone that would handle it either).

If you manage to get an exhibitioners licence you are able to keep salties till they reach 1 meter and freshies till they reach 120 cm

Also, you are supposed to vet check every animal every 3 months, record all feeding, heating crapping and shedding data for inspection, have a CO2 euthenasia set up for your rodents, get permission from your neighbours on all sides etc etc etc.

Sorry Simon, I didn't realise that you already had your licence.
FYI, my info came directly from someone who runs a mobile reptile display company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back