glass

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frodo

Reaction score
hey fellas im building an enclosure and was after some advive on what type of glass i should use eg thickness, shatter proof ect ect

i just feed my coastal for the first time it was cool he didnt even hesitate :)

i believe the best glass is 6 mm safety. If you want more info. ide talk to nichole as she will only use 6 mm for safety etc. But i have heard many people just going the 2-4 mm.....

i hope this helps you.

cheers, jeremy

Me too Frodo and thanks Jero.
I have just finished converting a small cabinet into and snakey home :) All done apart from the glass bit.

cheers jez ill have a talk to nic and also get some prices for the glass.

Hi Guys,
6 ml safety glass is a personal preference, not a minimum requirement.
As my partner has a couple of kids who visit on weekends and run riot around the flat, the saftey glass gives me extra piece of mind for the snakes' (oh and I guess the brats') safety should there be any breakages. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can advise you better on minimum requirements, but I'm very happy with the safety glass.
Just a note, if you go this option be prepared to pay more for it...

Cheers,
Nic

yeah i agree with nichole, the enclosures i have bought and seen are all safety 6 mm (fairly thick really) and they are really strong and stuffs.

Depends what you want to spend also as glass is very expensive.
I only use 6mm but I know a glasier and I get all my glass reasonably cheap.4mm glass is a standard that most keepers use when building/purchasing an enclosure.I must stress though that the higher and wider the enclosure the more stress placed on the centre of the glass if it is not braced. (if using sliding glass in tracks in an enclosure 4 or even 3 foot in height this could be a problem.But using a hinged door with this glass would be safer as it is then supported and braced all the way round).

Yes, I didn't mention that, good advice John.
Design may dictate somewhat as to your glass needs.
Thick glass needs adequate support, my enclosures are 1200mm high, and have a window mounted removable front door. The window mount gives support all around the glass.

i use 4mm double laminated glass for my enclosures and have never had a problem with it what so ever, my larger enclosures have 6mm thick safety glass as they have a larger piece of glass in them and it makes them just that bit more sturdier, all my enclosures have glass sliding doors..... :lol:

i used 3mm glass, mainly because it is cheaper. Although i wouldn't use it in slidding doors, i would recomend the glass in a wooden frame. Plus remember room for the glass to expand if youing wooden frames

I use 3mm in all my sliders, one thing to remember if you start building big cages with fixed doors thicker glass will add alot more weigh to the whole setup making it harder to move even with wheels.
I guess it's not to bad if you only have one or two.

I dont use glass in any of my enclosures (except for fish tanks). All my enclosures use perspex. It is relativly cheap, light and it will not break. All round a better choice than glass for me.

Perspex is no good for sliders, snakes can bend it till it pops out of the tracks.

I used to prefer perspex,it is easier to drill holes through for door handles etc.The only problem I found with perspex is when it gets scratched.Dirt and grime gets into the scratch marks and gives a really nasty view.

At the moment all my lizards are glass fish tanks so I only use perspex on my snakes so as long as I got put scratches on them they stay perfectly clean and I also would not recomend then for sliding doors like NoOne said.
Perspex is great for hinged doors because you dont need to go to as much touble to support it as you would glass you can just drill though it aslong as you are careful not to split it with the drill

for the doors dad welded up a metal frame to fit around the panes of glass then we used silicon to hold the glass in place, it fitted like a glove. This way of making doors is good because u are abl;y to use any sort of hinge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back