Large mouth

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Slateman

I was just wandering. I have 2 large olive pythons. One is male about 3-4 year old and one is female 2,5 year old. Female is same size, but her head is much smaller than adult mail.
I do not understand why the female with much smaller head can swallow much bigger pray then the male. I fed her with medium size rabbit and she had no problem. Male tried to swallow small rabbit and after some time...1 hour...he giv it up.
Anybody can explain this?

By the way , i have 2 adult rabbits frozen for free if somebody like them. Sydney.

Hey slateman, ill take rabbits if u like, i want to try something different but not buy bulk till i know hell take it. maybe your female was just hungrier than the male? or male has never fed large prey before, maybe female has
?

Hi Slateman,

I have observed similar things with snakes, not necessary with the opposite sex, but just different individuals of the same size.
I personally think that it is nothing more than the skill and will of the indiviual snake to eat the prey item, some always take the prey head on and seem to down the prey quickly, with very little effort, while some seem to take forever just to try and eat one, sometimes they give up like your one did.
While this can be frustrating for us, as we are wasting food, it must be alot more frustrating for the snake, I usually just solved it by giving the indivual snake alot smaller prey than the other, but just more of them, say 3 rats for one snake and one rabbit for the other.

Neil

Yes Neil i am giving the male normaly rats instead rabbits.
Watso the rabbits are to big for your coastal. My olives are larger than your coastal and they can't take adult rubbit. But if you want it anyway you are welcome.

my cousins hatchling coastal ate a xtra large rat yesterday lol it has the biggest bulge u will eva saee

how can rabbits be too big? i have seen pic of coastal smaller than mine eaten possum! ????
how come you have rabbits anyway slate if your snakes cant eat them ??????? :D

brendan_spencer said:
my cousins hatchling coastal ate a xtra large rat yesterday lol it has the biggest bulge u will eva saee

sure it wasn't an exlarge mouse, my olives eat ex large rats that I breed, which are around 600grams, no way in hell a hatchling of any sort could take those.....would tell him to ask for his money back or better yet, post a pic of a hatchling that can eat a half kilo rat.
:twisted:

lol Meg I was gust thinking the same thing myself. :twisted:

Hi watso The rabbits are aproximately 65 cm long and150 mm in diameter. My olive pythons are now 4.5 kilo and about 9 foot long but they will be hopless with pray this size. If they can eat that large pray i would keep it my self. I saw your boy and he is smaller than my olive.
You are welcome to come to my place to pick them up. I think you will waste your effort. I personally would be only happy to be any help to somebody with this tucker.

You can tell the other members here in forum size and weight of your coastal and you will see what they think. Mabe i am wrong. This is actually interesting dilema.

ok slatey, that does sound big(rules out neighbours cat,damn) but monty is 4.53 kg and very close to 9 foot, last vet check in july. it would be a BIG meal but i reckon if they do it in wild then they could in captivity, like i said ,i've seen smaller than mine 6ft has eaten a possum(huge bulge) pic on web. any thoughts? maybe local dog like your rabbits slate?. p.s. if your olives bigger than monty must be bigger than measurement you gave? cheers :D

I'd say he would get it down but it would take a bloody long time for him to digest and he wouldn't benefit from it much. Better off giving him a couple of big rats.

More energy epended in eating it than from digesting it???????

Watso you can always try. Let me know when you like to pick them.
Most of the time people with large olive python took my adult rabbits. This time that will be first coastal and i would looove to see him to eat it. You can photograph it for us. I have time to time old rabbits i am taking of breeding to replace with younger female. That is why there are that big.

thanxs slatey ,but monty not due feed now for bout two weeks. i wonder how long to digest something that big? no, give rabbits to someone with big scrubby maybe, ill wait a while. i will buy rabbit for him and video him eating it and put in gallery, just experiment, will be interesting to see eh? ~cheers not sure where you live and anyway no way to pick up frozen, then catch train home be no good lol. :D

Depending on the cage temp and weight of the rabbit i would say up to a month to digest, maybe more for a snake that size. It wouldn't fully digest it anyway there would be to much.

so what would the snake do with the excess?????? regurgitate?????

Yep i tell ya, one of worst thing you'll ever smell :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back