Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
9 Months ago I had 2 coastals escape, My snake room is an old double garage converted, so I figured they had gone after having a huge search.
2 nights later I saw one trying to escape over the guttering, I went inside and climbed through the man hole and saw the other coastal as well.
After many attempts at getting them back, the roof is too small to climb through, I had given up on them. I had left rats with the tail poking out of the man hole and they disappeared, but I gave up over winter after a couple of rats werent taken.

Well 2 weeks ago the first one was in my garage where I breed the mice so I got him back and then 2 nights ago my favourite snake was just outside my snake room hanging off an outdoor spotlight
Now both are back in escape proof tanks and I am counting my lucky stars!!

9 Months is that a world record!

Cheers
Ad

the previous owner of one of my pythons told me that she got a jungle python yearling and 3 days later it had escaped....about 7 months later it just slithered through the front door coming from under her house. Its a fair while but not as much as yours ad.
Congrats on getting your lil guys back :D

Ad,
Not sure about the record, but please to hear that you have got them both back.
They obviously liked you, so they stayed around in stealth mode.

A friend of a mate's friend's cousin bought a snake off a bloke who's sister had a friend who got a puppy of a fella who told her that his snake disappeared 3 months before hatching and didn't turn up for 26 years by which time, it had already been dead for 8 years.

Congrats on getting them back ad, that's great stuff. Sounds like your chritmas has come early this year :)

I just hope that my lost brown tree snake i lost 1 year ago in my wife's car will not apeer on the seet next to her. That would be definately panelbeaters dreem.

Thanks everyone,
MM, the one on the spotlight took some getting off the spotlight, I had her by the head then had to let go and was pulling her this way and that but she never struck once. She was very docile before the escape and she still is. She is about 1 foot longer (5.5foot overall now) and heaps thicker - she actually hisses now, which i think is because she hasnt fed yet and she's a little p'ed off with the rough handling off the spotlight.
The one from the shed was very skinny and under-nourished and hadnt grown at all, I just picked him up off the shed rafters. He struck out once and bit my boy two days later but he was always a bit nervous.
I think they will settle back into captive life again happily, they were only in the ceiling so they didnt really live a wild life, if they ate anything other than what I left it would have been a few geckos maximum.
Ive got them both nice and warm now and tonight shall try feeding, I'll let them settle a while before handling them regular again.
Cheers
Ad

its good to hear they are both home safe and sound .... congratulations on your reptiles returning home......

Hey ad, as they were living rough for so long and in the presence of other animals during that time are you quarantining them before they go back with your main collection?

Hi Africa,
I checked them over and figured they couldnt have travelled far at all so I returned them straight away to the collection.
They both fed happily tonight. It will be good to get them in routine again.
The stormy night - very humid - in Brisbane the other night brought the snake out of the roof. It made me think, it would have been a fantastic night to go out herping.

I dont think thats quite the record. I'm not sure where I herd this story but I think it was in a book somewhere ?Aust Snakes: A Nature History? I think anyway. A family that lived on a farm in West Qld bought a snake but soon after they got it home the snake escaped and that was that. However they did notice that there wern't so many rats and mice around the farm as usual. about 5 years later the father is doing some work on the house under the back porch and finds a 6ft carpet python, his old pet.

A friend of a mate's friend's cousin bought a snake off a bloke who's sister had a friend who got a puppy of a fella who told her that his snake disappeared 3 months before hatching and didn't turn up for 26 years by which time, it had already been dead for 8 years.

Magpie...That happened to me once. :)

Congrats Ad!

not long ago my sisters bf dad lost a stimson that was like gust hatched he caught it after about 2 years and about a week later it eascaped he is so dumb he has heaps of snakes that always escape

I lost a hatchling, not as happy a story though, found it 2 days later inside the fluro of its enclosure, the only thing i could see was it might have squeezed in through were the starter goes, didnt like the taste of electricity by the look of it either.
Congrats on getting yours back ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back