How I got a reluctant snake feeding.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuscus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
In the ironically named sunshine coast, surrounded
This is how I got a reluctant yearling water python feeding. The history of these animals prior to purchase is a bit murky.
For about 2 months after purchase one of them refused all food. The other one is a very entushastic feeder. I stoped handling her to allow her time to settle and started feeding the other snake in their shared enclosure. She started taking an interest in the garbage guts feeding and was then offered a day old chick at each feed. Eventually she took one. That was three feeds ago. The next feed was also a DYC which was taken immediatly. The third feed was a weener rat. I feed garbage guts and the reluctant one came straight out of her hidey hole and looked like she was going to steal the rat from garabage guts. I immedently offered her a rat which struck instantly. Then I had to keep her away from garabage guts as she was still showing interest in GGs rat dispite the fact that she was still constricting her own. Im glad that she is now feeding, I was pricing finchs.

I use a snall snake hook to offer the (thawed) prey. I put a small hole in the tail (or leg if it is a bird). As the snake shows interest I move the prey away, this seems to stimulate a strike to prevent the prey escaping. Once the prey is struck it struggles (well, I use the hook to jiggle the prey). The hook is easily removed without disturbing the snake.

So in summing up, place a non feeder in an enclosure where the animal feels safe and keep it with with a good feeder. It worked with this individual but may not work with all animals.

I also don't think that it is a good idea to continue feeding both this way, sooner or later there will be an arguement over a food item.

I do have simmeler experiences.
Regarding jigeling after strike:
When i first started feeding adult olive pythone Surprise, I had problem with him to eat the pray. He always striked holded the pray for a minute and let it go with out eating it. When i let him strike and after strike stil holded pray with my large tongs and pretended like the rat is stil a live by jigling and stragling with snake for another 5 second, and after letting go, Snake constricted havily and eated the pray.
It is strange with Surprice feeding. Looks like easy come easy go. If he do not have to fight for it he do not like it.

wow, amazing (ground breaking) stuff fuscus and slater!!! i'll have to try that..

SS

When I first decided I was going to keep snakes, I did a lot of research (including reading this site top to bottom). One of the things I was told was to try an make the snake think they have captured a live animal hence the jigling.

Now, if only I could get something that sounds like a rodent death rattle ... :)

Great info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to try that with my snake who hasn't eaten for 6 months now

yeah would be appreciated fuscus, one of my pythons hasnt eaten since a fair while....

I have a couple of little snakes here that won't finish their dinner unless I jiggle it for them. I actually thought this was the most common way of feeding but apparently not?

Where are they where are they! Its Wednesday! I need my fix of photos of mice being constricted by snakes!

When mine are reluctant to feed I just starve a Rat for a week or so and introduce it to the snake. This seems to stimulate the snake into attacking the Rat while the rat is trying to chew on the snake.

Funny you should say that Greg I have heard the same thing...Have also heard that bashing the snake around the head with a rat sometimes provokes a snake into having a go at the rat.

I have made up the web page but had trouble moving it to the server. Will complete the process late tonight (circa 10.00 pm CDST).
In the meanwhile here are two of my existing sites

Photos of the water snakes when I first got them. Includes rats and my ugly mug. (WARNING : May frighten children and small dogs) http://150.101.58.70/herps/SnakesAtHome/snakesatHome.htm

My main animal photo site. Some very good photos of reptiles and frogs. I have to get my finger out and finish this site. http://150.101.58.70/

The feeding site is up.
http://150.101.58.70/oddsandsods/herps/Feed_20031027/20031027_Feeding.htm
Like All IT projects I've been involved in or know about, it took longer than scheduled.
However it did come in under budget :)
I have to speed up the pipe into my server (costs money) so sorry about the speed.
Post any comments in this tread please, nice or otherwise, but keep it clean.
Thanx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back