Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ajler

Not so new Member
Reaction score
:?: G,day all, after some info I plan on putting up a shed to house my reps I was looking at a 20by30 car shed(galv) but I am concerned about the heat in summer where I live country SA it gets up into the 40s and adry heat . The inside temps must be 15 degrees hotter can the reps handle it ok or does it have to be airconditioned (i hope not ) I plan on haveing pythons/monitors .
Thanks ajler

I think you already know the answer. At the temps you described you wouldn't have a collection for very long.

I agree with Fangs.
Air con will be the way to go, but depending on what you will be keeping, air con will bring it's own probs, like dry air, equalisation of air supply etc...
A lot of thought will need to be given to that project, as I am sure that you are aware!

Good luck with it, and let us know what you decide to do, and how it will work.

Neil

in stead of air con you could line and insulate the shed might be a bit more expensive but could be better for the herps

Yup, what she said. Aircon will not keep an uninsulated shed cool in the heat of summer, it will just bankrupt you. Alternatively, you could look at getting a transportable office building, they are fully lined, insulated and usually airconditioned and you can take it with you if you move :)

Thanks chaps I was afraide you would say that . I managed to convince my wife to let me keep my coastal carpet in the spare room over winter because it would be to cold but she has to go when the weather warms up I will now have to think of something to keep her inside over summer.Perhaps I can convince my wife we need another room built on but it looks like no new reps untill I get it sorted out.

If outside temps are suitable for the species, I would just concentrate on moving enough air to keep temps reasonable. A good ventilation fan would keep temps much closer to outside temps, and would be much more economical than AC. Insulation always helps provided you have a way of removing the heat that does build up. If your collection doesn't require a whole lot of space, constructing a small insulated "room" within the garage, might be the way to go. Then if need be, you could AC just that small space.

I keep my rats in the garage. My main problem isn't heat, but rather the cold. I just insulated the outside wall right behind the rack, then made some walls and ceiling out of plywood and lined it with that foam/foil board insulation. It's just big enough to surround the rack and a small oil filled radiant type heater. Heater kicks in only when the temp falls below 45 F. Keeps the watering system from freezing, and the rats breeding.

Id say if the normal air temps in your area are appropriate instead of trying to regulate temps in a shed instead invest in reptile pit for the monitor and a lockable avary for the pythons.

air con

Thanks chaps, Africancichldau if you know of any one who takes tradeins let me know but I doubt if I would get a pair though. Amaron good idea the smaller air cond room might work but I recon Whaa might be right have an outside avery and pits and move them back into aircond shed when I have to be away and in the winter it also gets blooody cold so I recon the shed is still the go but I,ll have to give more thought to it, thanks again
ajler :roll:

Re: air con

ajler said:
Thanks chaps, Africancichldau if you know of any one who takes tradeins let me know but I doubt if I would get a pair though.

What kind of paperwork would I have to file to export? :D

Unlike Australian Reptiles almaron they can be freely imported and exported with minimal paperwork. Most specimens require only that you sweat blood for them and make heaps of money when you are not pandering to their every whim. I would advise you think very long and hard before making the decision to get one of this species. Another negative is that they get very very vicious if you attempt to handle them before you get to know them well. I have attempted to kee4p a number of these at different times and it is only now after many years of trial and error that I seem to have found one that is relatively easy to live with :)

For the shed idea, just think of a huge esky :)
line it with foam and have those whirley-gig style fans on the ceiling, i think it would be easier to remove the hot air rather than trying to convert it to cooler air (AC)
Possibly a combination of both methods- use a thermostat to save cost and lives
Those portable offices sounds like a good idea RR, how much are we looking at for one of those?

I looked into a transportable ofice/granny flat 2yrs ago the cheapest then was 1200 so that idea is dead. I recon the shed is my only hope. I remember when I was awhipersnapper there was a bloke here who had a lot of snakes & lizards in a iron shed he seemed to have no problems. But he is,nt around now to find out for sure. So more research.
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back