Killing Spree

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sounds like u wanna kill them in a way that wont cause u too much pain

brick wall = no pain, best way

cheers, jono

+Gecko~Gaze+ said:
So what exactly does the Carbon Dioxide do?

I use Co2 cylinders, for pinkies you just need to put them in a smaller container otherwise they will take a while to die. The cylinders are pretty pricey, but if you have a BOC gas supplier, you can buy a kilo of dry ice for a few dollars(think minimum is 2kgs), put in an airtight bucket. Put the pinkies/mice in another container (takeaway container), with holes punched in the top, and then pour some water on the ice.
Putting them in another container saves them sticking to the ice, which is cruel and would make them useless to feed, also while some might get pleasure from making an animal suffer, Animal Ethics don't care how big or smalll a creature is and you can get in a lot of crap for being inhumane. Far what its worth I treat all my rodents well, make good feeders and out of thousands that I have bred have to say have never once been bitten by a mouse or a rat............think they deserve bit of humanity before their ultimate end. (and know am not a greeny/tree hugger, just worked as a vet nurse for many years)

meg

snapping necks, and knocking heads it quite acceptable to the Animal ethics committee, its how researchers kill rats/mice blah blah,

um..i thought i posted on this thread about playing tony barber records till they go insane and die? must have added to the wrong thread? oops.

CO2 is quite nasty way of killing........but is technically humane. I would do the neck break thing fast and quick. Am gonna have a bit of an experiment with chloroform in the next few days will get back to you with the results.

Cheers Hawkeye

Stevethepom said:
snapping necks, and knocking heads it quite acceptable to the Animal ethics committee, its how researchers kill rats/mice blah blah,

was talking about freezing them to death or even worse Jeremy's reference to farting in a bag........have worked in a lab and cannot remember cutting any heads off with scissors

Hawkeye said:
CO2 is quite nasty way of killing........but is technically humane. I would do the neck break thing fast and quick. Am gonna have a bit of an experiment with chloroform in the next few days will get back to you with the results.

Cheers Hawkeye

u wanna see a nasty death, put them in with chloroform and then open the container to see how they writhe around, co2 isn't nasty they go straight to sleep if you know how to administer it correctly.
I also researched effects of choloform and if you want you snakes to suffer go ahead, it stays in their system, unlike co2 and can cause damage to your reptiles.

Thankyou olivaceus71, I like your idea of doing it, and I treat my mice like pets as well. I have never done this before and want to make it as painless as I can....BTW wattso, I want to try a way that I wont get killed aswell :)

olivaceus71 said:
Hawkeye said:

Cheers Hawkeye

u wanna see a nasty death, put them in with chloroform and then open the container to see how they writhe around, co2 isn't nasty they go straight to sleep if you know how to administer it correctly.
I also researched effects of choloform and if you want you snakes to suffer go ahead, it stays in their system, unlike co2 and can cause damage to your reptiles.

Nah seemed to be a quiet painless death when it happened. As for CO2 all that does is get them to rebreath CO2 and they asphyxiate (same as placing a plastic bag over their head and then letting them die that way). As for chloroform causing snakes to suffer wasn't it used as an anaesthetic for humans? I presume that they didn't suffer greatly. I'd be interested in where you got your research from regarding chloroform as I know WIRES regularly euthanase their animals with chloroform and then feed them to their other rescue animals without any ill effects.

Cheers Hawkeye

Hawkeye said:
olivaceus71 said:
Hawkeye said:

Cheers Hawkeye

Nah seemed to be a quiet painless death when it happened. As for CO2 all that does is get them to rebreath CO2 and they asphyxiate (same as placing a plastic bag over their head and then letting them die that way). As for chloroform causing snakes to suffer wasn't it used as an anaesthetic for humans? I presume that they didn't suffer greatly. I'd be interested in where you got your research from regarding chloroform as I know WIRES regularly euthanase their animals with chloroform and then feed them to their other rescue animals without any ill effects.

Cheers Hawkeye

no probs will look it up and post you some links, I was in wires but can't remember being told to euthanaise with chloroform......

here is the first link with info on hepatic probs in humans, rats and mice, knowing some pythons are prone to liver damage MAYBE this might interest you
http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/anaes/lectures/hepatotox_clt/hepatotoxicity.html

from what i remember reading aboput euthanising small mammals with co2, the best or kindest way is to slowly administer sub lethal doses first which has an anesthetic affect, then you up the concentration once there out to it and they die very quicly without regaining conciousness. all depends on administrating the correct concentrations over a period of several minutes using the two stages. all sounds like alot of stess and if you never did it befor would be trial and error. probly the best thing for the sqeamish like me is buy them frozen. barring that bashing them on a brick would be quick and instant, but what what if you dont do it right the first time? then the mouse/rat suffers and you feel like a barbaric pr*ck. lol ill go with buying frozen :D

Lol...I wish I could buy the frozen but mum bought me a pair of mice....So no turning back! :(

Maybe I should feed the mice to the snake and say the snake escaped into there or something...:D

Interesting article but:

1) liver damage occurs after 30 minutes exposure (rats don't last 30 seconds)
2) liver damage is in the food NOT the snakes
3) CO2 poisoning is still pretty traumatic on the animals as you can't render them anaesthetic without a substantial dose and they asphyxiate

Our experiment consisted of two hopper rats in an ice cream container and about 5-10mL chloroform. Rats were asleep within 10 sec and then had their necks broken. No damage to the animals and they were completely unaware of their impending doom.

Cheers Hawkeye

On going research....

Chloroform euthanasing is so far working well. Snakes feed immediately after using chloroform to anaethetise them and no ill effects to date.

Deaths were also pleasant and the rodents suffered very little stress and anxiety. They just wandered around a little drunk then fell over asleep.

Small container warm day, asleep in about 5-10 seconds
Large container cool day 20-30 seconds before fully asleep.

Experiments continue.....

Cheers Hawkeye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back