speaking of stupid...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust Your bandage - don't stuff around trying to suck out venom.

1. Don't clean the wound
2. Apply Pressure bandage
3. Seek Medical assistance/Hospital immediately
4. Allow a swab of the bite area (without removing the bandage)
5. Don't remove bandage until a doctor is ready with the antivenine.

G

I've elaborated on grahams post.
Trust Your bandage - don't stuff around trying to suck out venom.

1. Don't clean the wound
This is because we have very good methods of snake identifcation from the venom/saliva let on the skin.

2. Apply Pressure bandage
Venom of Australian snake s also travels via the lymph glands. That is why a pressure bandage is preferble to a tournque.
http://www.abc.net.au/northtas/stories/s787180.htm

3. Seek Medical assistance/Hospital immediately
Surprisingly this doesn't always happen
http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1997-02.html

4. Allow a swab of the bite area (without removing the bandage)
In other words, don't say to the doctor "No, you can't take a swab (sorry - couldn't resist

5. Don't remove bandage until a doctor is ready with the antivenine.

couple of others.

Always carry a first aid kit with extra crep bandages if you are a mad herper and travel to areas where you may see snakes. I carry 2 extra crep bandages.
Also always have a way out. I carry an EPRIB to scream for help if required. I already have the procedures mapped out if I am unlucky enough to need it.

those EPRIB's are very useful,(not having used one myself), By a friend of mine got stuck in the back trails of the snowy mountains and set off his EPRIB and they were able to find him.

Two parties got lost in lamington NP a couple of years ago about two weeks apart. One wandered around about 4 days before stumbling their way out. 200+ searchers couldn't find them. The other party was rescued within a 1/2 an hour.
Guess who had an EPIRB.

Id say the searchers would have one. How embarassed would you be getting lost while looking for someone. :?

Jay

Emergency packet [of] ingestable recovery bacon! :D ......nothin like a good feed when ya lost eh Africa. :D

when i was in the states I saw them thought they where pritty stupid and funny at the same time so I got one of a novalty.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back