Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
this year for christmas i am getting my first snake :D . im getting it when i get back to Darwin. i want a costal carpet but i need to know if it will get over 3m long. if it does are their any other carpets i can get. cant get a diamond.

this shows that anything is possible because my mum dislikes snakes to say the least. there are afew rules that she has put in aswell as a apart of the deal like it cant leave my room and that she doesnt want to see dead mice in the freezer.

coastals can grow to over 3 metres, but not all specimens do. jungle carpets are an average sized species

will i have better luck of the snake being under 3m if its a male?

Rick Shines book "Australian snakes, a natural history" states the average size for a male diamond or carpet python is 130cm and a female 151cm. so yes it is likely a male will be smaller than a female

note that these are just average sizes though and some snakes grow much larger

i have that book. its really good, but i dont have acess to it because im in melbourne. not complaining though the weathers ok

it also does'nt compensate for the size difference between different subspecies. Basically coastals are the largest of the spilota family with some growing to even 4m. and jungles are the smallest in the spilota family reaching a max of 2.5m. Somebody please tell me if im wrong

Those sizes that Keeth quoted (from Rick Shines book) are actually only to the vent measurements.
Yes females generally grow bigger than males and the averidge Diamond is listed as about 2m, to the average carpet as about
2.5m.

Dont even worry about the overall maximum length.
By the time they grow to such great proportions you should be moved out of home anyway.We are talking 10 + years here :p

Good point John.
Did think of that too, but knew you would want to mention that. :lol:

Yea,hehe.
I hesitated at 1st because I JUST KNOW somebody is going to point out that I am living at home with my mummy lol :p

Lives at home with his mummy?..................."Ah HAAAAA" ~Aka Nelson from the simpsons, :p sorry mate couldnt resist. :lol:

i got a NT carpet python tommo if ur interested.... $250 for adult female, but im thinking u want a hatchling of some kind?? NT's grow to smaller lengths then your coastals too...if u want i know of some very very nice looking cape yorks and could hook u up with one of these?

Are Cape yorks like coastals in temperament Morelia? Or more like Darwins?

as far as i know they are much like your coastals but with much more vivid/outstanding colours, well thats with these specific specimens anyway...

I may give you a yell myself about them Morelia as I like the look of Cape Yorks but cant find much info on what they are generally like in temperament. Have to save some dosh first but.

im back in darwin now and im going to see ben wright this week to see what he has. does anyone know what sort of carpets he breeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back