Southern Blind Snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belinda

Reaction score
Just got a call from my neighbour " Belinda, was wondering if you could come and look at this creature that is in our pool...We are not sure if its a snake or a worm and the boys want to go for a swim"

Ok, I thought...Sounds like a blind snake. Indeed it was..But it was dead. Anyways its a Southern Blind Snake and I did a bit of research of there habitat...And its not where we are. Below is a map of their locations.

And I am pretty much at the top of the "W"

This doesnt have anything to do with what your asking but, im wondering do blind snakes release a kind a smell to scare predators? because when i' ve handled one it left this gross smell behin which stayed on me hands for days.

Wouldn't know...I dont know much about them but doubt they have many predators being snake that burrow quite a bit.

Yes they projectile vomit :p
Possesed Linda Blair snakeys lol
(The Exorcist)

Ramphotyphlops nigrescens ? Common from Sydney to Noosa and similar in appearance to the southern.

Belle, if you compare distribution maps in different books for certain species of animals you'll often find inconsistencies, because something is written doesn't make it sacred.

No it was definately a Ramphotyphlops australis. I've checked a few maps Parko and they said pretty much the same thing...They said thats the second one that they had in their pool in the past week, and the house next door to them ( non one lives there...Government bought it) its really overgrown so i think they might be coming from there?

Pools are attracting alot of snakes lately with this heat wave.
Unfortunately such a small species like Blind snakes can't get out again after a quick dip.I have family that lives at northern beaches and has been finding alot of Diamonds around/in their pool recently.Quote a few other species they couldn't identify also.

That leaves 2 likely possibilities, the books are wrong(again I say nothing strange) or you have mistaken the species. Take your pick.

I am positive it's a Southern... Is it possible that the map is out dated? Do reptile move locations with the world's climate changing?

Indeed they are, but australis is darker, more black where nigrescens are browner. Sxereturn, Ramphotyphlops wiedii are located in QLD. I'm in sydney :)

It extends about 2/3rds of the way down the coast and almost to the middle of NSW.

I got my info from the Wilson and Swan book. I'd trust it more than a website...

And just because it has slightly different colouring, doesn't mean it couldn't be it. I've seen black and white carpet pythons...with no Diamond in them at all...

Im aware of that..But the face and head looks much like that of the Southern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back