incubators

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

hey now ive got an adult pair of snakes im going to make an incubator how will i go about making one

A 200ltr esky are great same witha old bar fridge, I use light bulbs for heating, and install two therostates just incase one fails (it happened to me this year loosing a alot of eggs) install a digital thermometer and thats about it

if anyone is going to build one in the near future,
a step by step doco with photos would make a great article, to teach us newbies somefin' :)

I ahve plains to make other in the next month or so I will do just that, but this one will cost me about $1000

That'd be great Marc! Looking forward to reading that!

im gust gunna have a melamine box sealed airtight and airtight containers for the eggs a few lights maintainted at 31 degrees on 2 thermostats hows 2 lights on 1 thermostat and 2 on another sound and then shove the egs in 1 part vermiculite 1 part water leave em for 55 days and have plenty of snakes to care for thats all ya need isnt it? no use having a big hi tech expensive thingymybob where a simple thing will work ppl make egg incubation sound hard but apparently it isnt

i'm building one. Its a speaker box with all the guts ripped out. I cut some foam to size and stuck it to the walls to insulate it. i then put 3 long rectangle blocks across each side for the shelfs to sit on. i put 2 lights in the bottom and a piece of peg board above the lights to spread the heat evenly.

Hi Guys, here is a pic of an incubator i made. It is just an old fridge i found, has two ceramics on the bottom, with 2 fans to blow the heat around. It holds the temps really well and was cheap to make. It also has a probe thermostat. I hatched out 2 clutches for a friend so far and have some jungle eggs about to hatch in the next day or two. From 36 eggs in total in the incubator, i have only lost one which i think is pretty acceptable. Only other thing i have to do is to put another thermostat incase of failure, just as Marc said.
Here is a pic
PB160001_001.sized.jpg

if you have any questions, just ask.

cheers

Mark

Ceramics dont give off light, so i wouldnt know if they blew, something i should look into. However, i did put 2 ceramics in, so if one blows the other keeps going, ceramics tend to go for ages.

I was warned off those fittings as they may cause a fire. When I did an examination at home I did find burn marks so I have throw those away and use the ones with a broad base. And they are mounted on jarrah.
Also I had one of pig heaters fail, which is a pain as they are expensive. Keep a test bulb to check out the circuits, if you are incubating eggs a spare wouldn't be a bad idea.
Anyhow your incubator looks good, Mark, lots of ideas there worthy of stealing :)

Hi Guys, i have found those fittings to be ok. maybe it is because, the ceramics dont have to stay on long to heat the fridge because of the good insulation. I am in the process of building another one, this one was more of a practice one and literally took about 45 minutes to put together. Thanks for the advice guys, ill definately put a red light to know if the ceramics have blown or not.

I think your dual pig heaters negates the need for a warning light ( I assume you check the eggs every day) but if you were going to use a light then you would need to rewire downstream from the themostat to form a circuit so that if any of the heaters didn't work them the warning light wouldn't as well. But that way would mean that if the warning light blew then the heaters wouldn't work.

how come nobody ever lets the female incubate her own eggs
nobody makes them an incubator in the wild

S.Irwin said:

normally wild python will incubate their eggs in a pile of composting leaves and other organic materials, there receive warmth moisture within that substraght, however in captivity it can be messy and a bit on the nose, artifical incubation you can control the heat the moisture and the general condition "removing rotten eggs etc"

brendan_spencer said:
im gust gunna have a melamine box sealed airtight and airtight containers for the eggs a few lights maintainted at 31 degrees on 2 thermostats hows 2 lights on 1 thermostat and 2 on another sound and then shove the egs in 1 part vermiculite 1 part water leave em for 55 days and have plenty of snakes to care for thats all ya need isnt it? no use having a big hi tech expensive thingymybob where a simple thing will work ppl make egg incubation sound hard but apparently it isnt

try not to use anything that doesnt have insullation, the heat can be lost and hard to regulate...second hand bar fridges are next to nothing to buy and its insulated and also a door

S.Irwin wrote:

normally wild python will incubate their eggs in a pile of composting leaves and other organic materials, there receive warmth moisture within that substraght, however in captivity it can be messy and a bit on the nose, artifical incubation you can control the heat the moisture and the general condition "removing rotten eggs etc"

also, unless you keep temperatures extremely even, constantly including day and night, maternal incubation can take a lot of strain for a female python, possibly stopping it from breeding again for several years

Keeth said:
S.Irwin wrote:

also, unless you keep temperatures extremely even, constantly including day and night, maternal incubation can take a lot of strain for a female python, possibly stopping it from breeding again for several years

thankyou keeth I forgot to say that I was ment it does take alot out of the snake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back