Best wood for making enclosures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pollock

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey, whats the best wood to use for reptiles for enclosures that doesnt harm them?

If you's could help me out that'd be great. Thanks :D

i use 12mm ply, with a couple of coats of varnish, but alot of people down south who need to heat enclosures and such seem to use melemine. i havn't personaly used this but im sure it is very good aswell

Is it essential for the enclosure to have vents for an airflow for the snake?

I use varnished ply.
And yes it is essential!!

MDF ..medeum density fibre board...but dont forget to seal it or it will exspand if it gets wet

I dont like MDF. It is not good for you. When working with it you should wear an appropriate filter mask, Not one of those white ones with the elastic but a proper cartridge one. If you use it seal all the edges before you assemble it and this will ensurethat it doesnt absorb moisture. MDF would have better insulation qualities than Melalmine generally as it is usually chip board though skinned MDF is available.
I prefer Plywood. Marine ply is best but very expensive. I mostly use Hoop pine ply from Qld. Its plantation grown.

I use melemite for floors and tops and pine all round. If you use any sort of board do you measurements and get it cut at the place of purchase. I just brought some board from a big green shed and they have a machine that will cut the board dead straight.

Oh and the hoop pine plantations in QLD mentioned are just north of Brisvagas and contain Charlie Moreland park. See Lacie Heaven for more details.
And on my drive to Melbourne last week, I noticed heaps of gum plantations, Mainly E. globulum globulum also known as Tasmainian Oak. So it looks like native plantations are finally happening.

Thanks keeth that site helped me out lots and gave me a couple idea' s,
Thanks mate.

always happy to help buddy and good luck. i would reccomend that url for anybody interested in building there own enclosures. it also has a section on making hatchling tubs and hatchling tub racks. www.finegtps.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back