Blue tongues in an outdoor enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moclobe

Reaction score
Has anyone kept common and/or blotched blue tongues in an outdoor enclosure in the Melbourne area?

Regards David

years ago when I lived in fern tree gully I did they did fine, they dont mind the cooler weather either

saikrett said:
if you think it might get too cold you can build a fiberglass cave an install a heat lamp in it. similar to what they have at GRP.

thats a great idea I wonder where he lives?

but the only thing about installing something like that is that you may never see the lizards, and also they may not come out to bask in natural sunlight, lizards out side with metabollic bone disease may be a bit of a worry. i guess you would just only turn it on during cold days though so i'm just an idiot :roll:

Keeth said:
but the only thing about installing something like that is that you may never see the lizards, and also they may not come out to bask in natural sunlight, lizards out side with metabollic bone disease may be a bit of a worry. i guess you would just only turn it on during cold days though so i'm just an idiot :roll:

being outside they will alwas be able to recieve the goodness of the sun the lizard will regulate its body temps by moving in and out of the heated dome, but maybe link it to a thermostate and regulate the heat inside the dome, and I am sure you wouldnt build it to not be able to be moved.

go for it mate you don't need a heat cave like saikrett said just places for them to hide and dig for when winter comes around this will give them a cool down period and they will be prime for breeding also you may need to assist in adding snails and bugs as food levels become very low depending on how many blueys you have

thats what I recon as well, but we dont know where he lives, maybe in darwin if thats the case, they need a bar fridge :lol:

oops a daisy i think saikrett means ARP not GRP that is australian reptile park

marc said:
thats what I recon as well, but we dont know where he lives, maybe in darwin if thats the case, they need a bar fridge :lol:
It say's Seaford Vic as his location, also the question is whether ''Melbournes'' ok for bluey's outdoors, I would take a wild guess that he may be in Victoria. :wink:

that is called australian reptile park the one with the big lizard head entrance i have been there before they have a huge turtle it must be like 2000 years old they dont even give it a pond to swim in but

no that one was inside that egyptian room thingy this one was near where the bbqs are next to the tasmanian tigers it is really big you must of seen it and it has like a big kennel dog house to sleep in

seaford is part of frankston and yes blue tounges are ok outdoors here i get them coming into my back yard looking for snails

Thanks westhamsc. (actually frankston is a part of seaford LOL)

Does anyone have any pointers on a suitable outdoor enclosure design for blue tongues?

Would the Blueys be in much danger of birds such as hawks, or maybe other large animals like cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back