Coastal Enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ella

Reaction score
I would like to build an enclosure for my male coastal (bris). I want it to be 4ft long, 5ft high...not so sure on the depth. Any ideas? I was thinking 4ft deep as well but then it wouldn't fit through the doors...Also I've heard that large spaces stress smaller snakes..? I want this enclosure to be the One so I'm willing to spend lots of time (and money :( ) on it.

Thank you in advance :D

hi mate,
i got an issue of of Reptiles Australia today pretty good mag, anyway it had a article on coastal and they said the lenght of the enclosure should be 1/2 the length of the species being held, height 1/4 of the lenght of the species held, and width of the enclosure 1/4 of the lenght of em.
But coastals like to climb so i'ld make it abit heigher.

He's only small at the mo about 4 ft but he likes to roam. Is what I was thinking too big? I want to give him enough room to "run" around but I also don't want to go spending all this money on a huge enclosure and have him end up using only half of it.

Reptiles Australia is good. I got the coastal issue too, was just wondering what everyone's opinion was. (BTW, I missed the first issue of RA and the local newsagent doesn't carry it, how else could I obtain a copy?)

I reckon your dimensions are great but would only make it 2 foot deep. They will have all the room they need and be very able to indulge their love of climbing. My coastal enclosure is only 3 foot long, 5 foot high and 1 foot 8 inches deep and they love it in there:) It normally houses just the one Coastal but there is plenty of space for when I put them together too. That 1/2 X 1/4 the snakes length thing is only meant as a minimum and as you are obviously thinking of the snakes best interest then I would say discard it and go bigger :) Good luck, sounds like ya gonna have a great enclosure :) Keep us informed of your progress and a few pics wouldn't go astray either :)

Yeah no, we dont get it over here in WA. Have asked the Newsagent to get it in but he reckons that not enough people would buy it. Ah well, herping is growing over here. I saw a viv in a pet shop roughly 1ft long by 1ft high by 1/2 ft deep and it was selling for $349. Had glass doors on the front that lifted up (not run on a track or anything) and no way to mount and lighting/heating. Although it did look good. I am going to make my own viv.

(Edited by Admin)
The article on Coastals in Reptiles Australia magazine was misprinted. The info it was supposed to say 1/2 length 1/4 height width for terrestrial and 1/2 length and height 1/4 width for arboreal.

Thank you everyone who posted a reply in answer to my question and I will post some photos when it's finished.

Check your pet shops for Reptiles Australia. I got mine from Pet City.

:D

As a human being I agree, in large part, with Greg.
As a moderator, I'm deleting most of Greg and Brendan's posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back