Screen Lids For Aquariums?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdhamhRuadh

Reaction score
Ok, so there's alot of information on the net about keeping smaller snakes and hatchlings of larger species in glass aquariums with screen lids, but how do you achieve this? Could somebody possibly tell me a good way to set this up so it's secure, and cannot be pushed off?

Thanks In Advance,
KrimenuL

Some of the lids you can buy come with latches around the edge that clip under the plastic lip of the fish tank. Saying that, I've had some stronger snakes push this up (in larger tanks). Smaller snakes are generally ok, all you need to check for is gaps. For the larger guys I ended up making it work by using a combination of duct tape and large books :)

We make our own out of thin plywood, cut out the middle and place fly screen or gutter guard down the middle and hold it on with dowel and nails. It's heavier and stronger than just flyscreen. The only problem we have with the flyscreen is that the little ones like rubbing their noses on it and it wears and stretches quite easily. To hold the lids on we use hasp and staple latches and use silastic to fix to glass tank. This also means you can lock tanks if their are little fingers around. Good luck.

I have a screan lid on my lizard tank and it is great but If I put a snake in there it could easily get out as it does not seal tightly enough

For hatchlings/small snakes I use the plastic critter cages that sell for around $12.I know they are no better at retaining heat than a glass tank but they are relatively escape proof.I place them on top of heat tape at one end so there is a heat gradient across the cage.
This is a fairly common method used by a lot of people.

I keep mine in a bucket under a tree! :lol:

we make our own lids.
its easy....just get a flyscreen cover for a window, pull out the tube holding on the flyscreen, measure wat size u need the lid to be, then cut the frame using a hacksaw to the size u need (corners need to be at 45 degree angles) and fit bak 2gether, then just lay the flyscreen mesh ova the top and push the tube bak into the slot ova the top of the flyscreen using a screw driver or sumthan similar.
I use sheets of glass to hold down the mesh.

A piece of plywood cut to the excact size of the hole it is to fill then patiently drill 2 or 3 mm holes for ventilation this can help with crap heat retention.Then a couple of books or half a house brick wrapped in an old rag and sticky taped on will make a nice soft yet heavy lid clamp.

Lol, Africa, how bout a lunchbox under a tree? :p

just get a flyscreen cover for a window, pull out the tube holding on the flyscreen
Do you get a lot of flies in your house Ackie?

Glass aquariums are good for small lizards or even turtles.
Keeping snakes in a glass tank is asking for trouble.The ease with which snakes can escape is uncanny not to mention the health problems involved.
It can be done,sure, but there are better options.

Groobs i have had a snake in a glass tank before but i didnt ask for trouble so i didnt get any so there

um that musta been the trouble groobs is talking about from keeping snakes in glass enclosures i lost all my punctuatim

I have many glass tanks that I used to use when I went through the tropical fish stage.Now with a few different types of lids most of them are for snakes and the rest are used to breed rats and mice. I use the same mesh for the rats and mice as I use for the snakes. I am glad to say I have had no rat,mice or snake escapes or injury do to the lids. Upon saying that I have built many wooden housings that do look better and perform better than the glass counterparts,but if you have a glass tank laying around the right size for the snake it is most handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back