Broken fast

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Reaction score
Last time I was here I had a problem with my snake eating, I think it was a winter fast, Lutz(I think) recommended, leaving her for a while then increasing the temp, I did this and she still would not eat frozen thawed, a few weeks after, bout 3 months in total, I offered her a live rat put, abd she pounced on it in no time. I would prefer her to eat frozen thawed, and she has in the past, but I want her to eat and dont like the fasting for months. Should I ease her back into frozen thawed or just offer her that next time?
Moses

Moses,
I would offer here defrosted, slightly warmed rodents, if this dosen't work proceed with the live, it's always best to feed her, even if it's not actually what you would prefer her to be eating.
Maybe try offering defrost for a few days, and if no joy, go with the live, repeat the process next feed time, maybe offering a different food item, or try wiggling it on tongs etc... all the usual tricks.
Good luck, hope all goes well.
Neil

I defrost mine in hot water, so the rat is well above room temp when I offer it - don't have any problems. You should probably towel dry before feeding, or if the wet rat seems to be a problem you could stick it in a plastic bag before putting it in the water. Combine this with the tongs method and good luck :)

I have done all of the above and they worked before, I just think she changed temperment.

hi Moses, you should feed a live pup again, then staright after she has finished offer her a thawed one. I have found live eaters to eat frozen thawed on occasion staright after a live while they are still in the mood.

I defrost mine in hot water, so the rat is well above room temp when I offer it

everytime i try that, the rodents explode when the snakes strike at them. and f**k does that stink. :?

thats cos the water is too hot when u put them in it - i used to do that and he ripped one open - ewwww :?
when straight out of the freezer use sorta warm water not hot straight off. then when its no longer rock hard use hotter water. something about putting em straight into really hot water seems to thin their skin making em explode easier.

Mine exlode (LOL) only when I leave them in water to long.

Me either. I thaw in hot water, never had a nuclear rat yet! maybe its got something to do with air inside the body cavity? I poke mine about with the tongs as they thaw ,pressing on the stomach and body to ensure its softening all the way thru. ive had bubbles come from the rats mouth.

exploding rats?!?!? wow, never had that reaction hehe...i have to admit i put em straight into hot water, then refresh it with hot water when it cools down. i'll prob keep it up, and if it happens to me then change my ways :)

ok exploding may have been a bit of an exaggeration - well for me anyway...when he struck at it his teeth pierced its abdomen - which they dont normally do. i must admit tho watching him smack his gums together with guts stringing up and down between them was kinda funny :D not so pleasant to clean up tho since he decided he didnt want it unless it was WHOLE lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back