RE: Children's python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well if the snake is just a hatchling it probably wont have the strength to lift up the lid, but if there are any holes around the lid e.g. corners, sides that dont meet up etc, then the snake could easily escape

I got my Children's Python from Kellyville Pets. Since I was a beginner I found it a really good forum to learn, ask questions and build up some confidence on keeping him alive, although I had done some research prior. The instructor was really good (I think it was Steve) and happy to answer questions etc. He had breed the babies that we got. I think you can do the course only (at a reduced cost) and not get the snake, basic kit etc. He went through what sort of enclosure he would need when he was bigger etc, but I think they are always happy to give advice in this area as they have a range for sale.

They are also happy to help if you get stuck. I took my snake back when he was quite young as he hadn't shed properly and it was stuck on his head/eyes. They helped get the skin off as he was really unhappy. He has since learnt his lesson and spends hours a day in his bowl just before shedding and it comes off in one piece.

I find my python is generally more active at night and sleeps most of the day. reason being that in the wild they generally hunt for food at night howeverthey will come out to warm up in the sun in mornings and late afternoon while hiding away from the heat of the day, then re-emerging after dusk to hunt.[unless a species is specifically diurnal] In captivity though they generally may come out any time night or day. lighting, noise[foot traffic in an out of the room etc] may may bring them out or make them hide. I imagine hatchlings would be generally more shy though. this is natural instinct to protect them from predators in the wild.

The best thing you can do Shuan is look on the internet for web sites either about pythons or about Childreni's and don't just stop at one site. Before I even consider getting a new species I look up and print off everything and anything I can find out about it. There is nothing wrong with asking people for advise or help on information as I still do when I need clarification on something, It is just that when you bombard people with a million questions all at once it unfortunately makes it seem like you know nothing about your chosen Herp and this is a bit alarming for us all. This is not an attack on you by the way just a handy hint on how to find out the things you need to know. Who knows in years to come you may an expert and someone may be asking you for advise.

Cheers
Col

I read about lighting for the children's python. if the light keeps on being exposed to the snake,, it will be strssed (I mean at night time). Is this true?

Generally, Yes! just like us, snakes should have a day night cycle. A red bulb at night as I mentioned earlier will allow you to see the snake but wont upset it. snakes apparently cant see into the red light spectrum, so to the snake it appears dark. dont be too concerned about light from the tv, dont think its bright enough to bother them, unless they were very close. if your worried about room lights at night, cover the enclosure till they are off.

shaun said:
It just sits there. Keeth, what do you mean by holes?

you need holes somewhere in the enclosure so the python can breathe.
can i suggest you read those books you have again? That second one you mentioned has an answer to every question you have asked. Not trying to offend but young pythons can be fragile and susceptible to temperature extremes causing them to die or escape if they are being kept in sub-optimum conditions. Try to get a thermometer so you dont cook her in the little enclosure.

I am enjoying this website and herping. My 5-month baby snake fell of its branch onto the log, which is not too far. Should i be worried or not? I am just worried about the snake being hurt.

how far? i accidentally dropped a hatchling from my hands to the floor yesterday (about 4-5ft) and she is fine

i noticed some one mention sharon a few times hehehe, i got burnt too, couple of years ago, first snakes, she is certainly in it for the dollar only....My Opinion Only

15_1_109.thumb.gif
rofl.thumb.gif
cel14.thumb.jpg
its Ozzie! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back